GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] aquarium gravel (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/91634-re-%5Bibc%5D-aquarium-gravel.html)

[email protected] 30-03-2005 01:37 AM

[IBC] aquarium gravel

In a message dated 3/29/05 11:05:40 AM, writes:
I've always been told not to use aquarium gravel, particularly the colored
stuff, for bonsai soil.* I understand the coloring could be bad, but always
took it on faith that aquarium gravel in general shouldn't be used.

Nonsense. The coloring is a completely inert resin. Remember it is designed
to be used in aquariums without fading, changing the chemistry of the water,
dissolving, or injuring very delicate and expensive fish. And you don't think
you can plant a tree in it?
Of course this applies only to the aquarium gravel for freshwater aquariums,
which is silica. The sand and gravel for marine aquariums may be quite
different. If they are calcium based, you couldn't use them for bonsai.
I used brown colored aquarium gravel for bonsai for years, until they
discontinued the small size. I use what I have left as a top dressing.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++