GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Bark Mulch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/91720-re-%5Bibc%5D-bark-mulch.html)

[email protected] 31-03-2005 02:40 PM

[IBC] Bark Mulch

In a message dated 3/31/05 12:04:27 AM, Roy Bohn writes:
if you have access to a power leaf mulcher that is big enough to do small
limbs, you should be able to get a lifetime supply of pine bark.

One of my friends has a chipper. He ground up some fir bark for me, but the
particle sizes are very un-uniform.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 31-03-2005 03:21 PM

Fafard sells a product called "soil condtioner" that comes in a purple bag, here in Florida it is composted pine bark, I use it in my soil mix.
Billy

In a message dated 3/31/05 12:04:27 AM, Roy Bohn writes:
if you have access to a power leaf mulcher that is big enough to do small
limbs, you should be able to get a lifetime supply of pine bark.

One of my friends has a chipper. He ground up some fir bark for me, but the
particle sizes are very un-uniform.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Douglas Taylor 31-03-2005 03:31 PM

For the past few years I have been the P.I.C. for our Bonsai Societies annual soil making workshop and have to find the supplies.

After doing a lot of nursery, garden center and hardware store searching, here in West Massachusettes, the best pine bark mulch for bonsai soil I could find was the Agway brand pine bark mulch it still needs sifting and has a few wood slivers but is better then all the others I checked out. It is a good idea to look at the individual bags (clear plastic on the back) and look for those that have a minimal amount of wood slivers, it seems to very from bag to bag. Decomposing wood will use nitrogen that the plant could use. The only product I have seen that has no wood slivers in it is the orchid mix fir bark, but what I have seen was too large and pricy.

For those of you that like the partially composted mulch (fine if you repot frequently) in your mix try Coast of Maine brand "Very Dark Bark" here in Western Mass. available at Tarno Nurseries.

Doug T.

In a message dated 3/31/05 12:04:27 AM, Roy Bohn writes:
if you have access to a power leaf mulcher that is big enough to do small
limbs, you should be able to get a lifetime supply of pine bark.

One of my friends has a chipper. He ground up some fir bark for me, but the
particle sizes are very un-uniform.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Steven Wachs 31-03-2005 05:38 PM

I am looking for a source of Fir Bark. Would anyone know of any on Long
Island

SteveW
Long Island NY

Jim 31-03-2005 05:50 PM

At 07:40 AM 3/31/2005, wrote:

I have recently found what I think is a very good commercial product for
the bark component in my soil mix. It is:
Scotchman's Choice Landscape Mix - 2 cu ft bag for about three bucks at
Home Depot locally
The manufacturer's address is:
P.O. Box 248
Powderly, TX 75473

I use this straight out of the bag with no sifting and no waste.