Old 09-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Root Rot-TREATMENT

In a message dated 4/8/2005 10:56:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a systemic fungicide for use on a
Texas Ebony (Pithecellobium flexicaule) with root rot?

Thanks,
Don

Don:

This is the treatment, which must be executed immediately:

1. Remove the tree from its pot.
2. Remove the soil.
3. Cut back on the roots until you see healthy, white cores.
4. Prepare a solution of water and Benomyl or Funginex.
5. Soak the barerooted specimen for 15 minutes in the solution.
6. Scrub the pot.
7. Repot the bonsai is a fast-draining soil mix.
8. Insert a chopstick into the root pad. Remove the stick on a daily
basis; rewater when the below-soil portion of the chopstick is almost dry.
9. Water the specimen with Roots with Mycorrhiza for the next four
successive waterings.
10. Place the bonsai in a shaded position for the next 2 weeks.

Good luck with the tree. The use of fast-draining soils and a more
conservative watering schedule can help you to avoid this problem in the future.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Nina

Does anyone have any suggestions for a systemic fungicide for use on a
Texas Ebony (Pithecellobium flexicaule) with root rot?

I can answer this question with absolute certainty, because I just
finished a study of the effects of systemic fungicides on Phytophthora
ramorum on Rhododendron (come to Austin, Texas this August for the
American Phytopathology Society meeting, and you can watch my
Powerpoint Presentation!)*.

The answer:

Systemic fungicides do NOTHING for an existing infection. They aren't
fungi-CIDES (i.e. fungal-killers), they are fungistatics (fungal growth
inhibitors). The pathogen will stop growing for a couple of weeks,
then it will start up again. The only way to use a systemic is as a
preventative measure, and I don't recommend that for a hobbyist- only
for a professional with thousands of plants.

My reason for looking at this is because nursery retailers in
California are suspicious that big wholesalers are treating plants with
systemic fungicides to arrest "sudden oak death" long enough to sell
them. But my findings are pretty clear: they symptoms are still
visible, even if the pathogen isn't growing, and a PCR molecular test
will detect the pathogen.

Nina, who infected 30 plants last week in order to look at the effect
of systemic fungicides on antibody-based detection methods.

*Any bonsai-related stuff to do in Austin?

Old 09-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Don Walker

Nina,

Are you the Nina Shishkoff, plant pathologist from the LIHRL, that wrote
"Using Fungicides to Control Bonsai Diseases" at:
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/fungicid.htm?

That article talks about using "An ERADICANT" to "...kill fungi that
have already invaded the plant." Later in the article several
fungicides are mentioned, including Fosetyl-A1 and Metalaxyl for water
molds and thiophanate methyl for other fungi, but fails to distinguish
if these are systemic fungicides or eradicants.

Has more recent work invalidated portions of that article? Would
sustained, judicial, treatment of all three types of fungicides
(protectant, systemic, and eradicant) not slow or halt progression of
the infection allowing more time in which to perform repots and
continued isolation and removal of the infected tissue.

I've also read that the use of thiophanate methyl will affect the
mycorrhizal fungi. Should new colonies be introduced after any use of
this fungicide?

This tree was a gift from my wife and it was immediately obvious that
the organics in the soil had broken down and the soil compacted. I
repotted the tree but the only soil I had available was shohin soil -
low organic and free draining but the particle size could have been
larger. The roots looked a little thin but otherwise ok at that time.
I trimmed them back to about half their length - about 18", still too
long but I was considering the overall quantity of roots tips and
figured I could adjust at the next potting - then treated with rooting
hormone to increase root mass near the base.

That was several months ago and now I'm getting suspicious that the tree
may have root rot. I've had a couple of limbs die and while I'm getting
new growth the old growth seems to be suffering. I'm planning to repot
to an inorganic soil (lava) of the appropriate particle size and want to
be prepared for what I find.

Thanks,
Don

************************************************** ************
******************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
************************************************** ************
******************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
-- --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 09-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Jim Lewis

That was several months ago and now I'm getting suspicious that the tree
may have root rot. I've had a couple of limbs die and while I'm getting
new growth the old growth seems to be suffering. I'm planning to repot
to an inorganic soil (lava) of the appropriate particle size and want to
be prepared for what I find.

I'm glad Nina replied. I was going to but decided not to after
the chemical warfare experts recommended an arsenal of *cides to
"cure" it.

I'm not a root scientist or a bona-fide expert in fungal
diseases (Nina is), but I've been growing things -- in pots and
out -- for a LONG time. And I'm still enough of a scientist to
observe very carefully.

In my experience, no one who isn't a commercial grower or
applicator has access to ANY fungicide that will reliably
"cure" an on-going fungus attack. If you have a fungus ailment,
your only hope is to get rid of the conditions that create it,
whether that is excess moisture, too much rotting vegetation in
the soil, or whatever. For root rot, you bare root, get rid of
all infected root (and then some), and replant in clean soil.
For diseases of stems and leaves, you prune away the infected
area (and then some) -- and hope. Usually in vain.

Unlike with insecticides, and as Nina said, you CAN use
fungicides to HELP prevent fungus attacks -- but you need to
know what potential fungus you are attacking in order to choose
the right chemical -- and I find it is a much more sure thing to
simply eliminate the things that cause fungus in the first
place. Cleanliness IS next to godliness in plant care.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Old 10-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Nina

Don Walker wrote:
Nina,

Are you the Nina Shishkoff, plant pathologist from the LIHRL, that

wrote
"Using Fungicides to Control Bonsai Diseases" at:
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/fungicid.htm?

Yup. That was me about 10 years ago. I'd have to go back and read it,
but I doubt I advised using any kind of fungicide for root rots,
because it's hopeless. It's *so* much easier to treat foliar diseases.

That article talks about using "An ERADICANT" to "...kill fungi that
have already invaded the plant."

I'll have to look at that article to see if I'm being unclear (it
wouldn't be the first time). The terms "protectant" and eradicant"
refer to the hoped-for action: to either protect the plant before
infection or to act later to eradicate the pathogen after infection.
"Systemic" is a more specific term indicating that the chemical moves
around in living tissue; that's all it means. It's possible to be an
eradicant without being a systemic, but I can't think of an example
offhand, except hydrogen peroxide. But I'm pretty sure in that article
I'm talking about foliar diseases, where many systemic fungicides work
VERY well. If they are fungistatic rather than fungicidal, it doesn't
matter, because if they stop the epidemic during, say, rainy weather,
it doesn't matter if they stop working when the weather is no longer
conducive to disease. With root rots, conditions are almost always
conducive, so a fungistat is a losing proposition.

Would sustained, judicial, treatment of all three types of fungicides
(protectant, systemic, and eradicant) not slow or halt progression of
the infection allowing more time in which to perform repots and
continued isolation and removal of the infected tissue.

Judicial use of all three kinds of fungicides is the backbone of
Integrated Pest Management (IPM)! But as several people already
mentioned, with root rot the best treatment is to improve soil
conditions. If you have a pesticide applicator's license (Jim is
correct: it's the only way to have access to the "good stuff"),and want
to use a good fungistat like Subdue Maxx on a tree with root rot and
*then* trim off the diseased roots and repot into a better soil, that's
a valid plan. But trimming the diseased roots and repotting alone is a
valid plan, too.

I've also read that the use of thiophanate methyl will affect the
mycorrhizal fungi. Should new colonies be introduced after any use

of
this fungicide?

Yes, although you know my feeling about this: mycorrhizal fungi do
nothing in a bonsai pot. They only have an effect in underfertilized
plants, and that doesn't describe *your* bonsai, does it?

I trimmed them back to about half their length - about 18", still

too
long but I was considering the overall quantity of roots tips and
figured I could adjust at the next potting - then treated with

rooting
hormone to increase root mass near the base.

Rooting hormone will inhibit preexisting roots, so it should only be
used when rooting cuttings.

That was several months ago and now I'm getting suspicious that the

tree
may have root rot. I've had a couple of limbs die and while I'm

getting
new growth the old growth seems to be suffering. I'm planning to

repot
to an inorganic soil (lava) of the appropriate particle size and want

be prepared for what I find.

I don't know that you have evidence of root rot. You may just have
repot shock. lava soil sounds good, but don't shock the plant any more
than you have to.

Nina, who only uses two pesticides on her bonsai: pyrethrins (for mites
and scales) and bordeaux mix (a protectant for foliar pathogens). Good
growing conditions and regular fertilization are your BEST defense
against disease.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:18 AM
Nina

Oh, I see. In my first post, I never said the words "when talking
about root rot" . So let me say this clearly: systemic fungicides
aren't much good with root rots. They can be very effective with some
foliar diseases. But their effectiveness is mostly in preventing new
disease due to the superb coverage allowed by a systemic (the fungicide
moves around inside the plant and gets to places you missed when
spraying); the eradicant action is over-rated.

Nina, never as clear as she means to be.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 4/9/2005 2:23:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

In my experience, no one who isn't a commercial grower or
applicator has access to ANY fungicide that will reliably
"cure" an on-going fungus attack. If you have a fungus ailment,
your only hope is to get rid of the conditions that create it,
whether that is excess moisture, too much rotting vegetation in
the soil, or whatever. For root rot, you bare root, get rid of
all infected root (and then some), and replant in clean soil.
For diseases of stems and leaves, you prune away the infected
area (and then some) -- and hope. Usually in vain.

Friends:

This is not always in vain: many individuals have come to me with bonsai
suffering from root rot, and many of these trees have come back--not all. My
procedure as provided will work for trees with root rot. As for Benomyl, if
this does not effectively work again root rot (based on recent research), it
is clearly an indication that the treatment as presented in an earlier email
works in and of itself. );-)

Old 10-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Brent Walston

Jim Lewis wrote:

I need to add that your tree may NOT have root rot if you took a
considerable amount of root of your Texas ebony.

I find that these trees tend to sulk for a considerable time after
extensive chopping of roots. So unless you lift it from the pot and
find black smelly roots, I'd just watch your watering (they'd rather
be dry than wet) and wait.

Good advice and observation Jim.

Let me first declare that I am not a plant pathologist although I play
one at the nursery a LOT. So Nina may want to chime in here and correct
me. Not long ago this issue came up in the Bonsaisite forum and this was
part of my answer:

Finally there is one point I want to clear up that is almost universally
misunderstood in the bonsai (and gardening) world. 'Rot' in heartwood,
live stem and root tissue, and root heartwood, comes in two flavors,
pathogenic, and non pathogenic. Non pathogenic fungi cause the common
everyday process of composting. It actually consists of fungi, bacteria,
and other microorganism (even some macro animals). These organisms eat
DEAD tissue.

Pathogenic fungi and bacteria only eat LIVE tissue, although some fungi
that start out as composters can, in some extraordinary cases, convert
to a pathogenic form. Most of what we think of as 'root rot' is NON
pathogenic, that is, it is the composting of already dead tissue. Yes, I
know, you wash off the roots and there is all this DEAD mushy black root
tissue, and it's seemingly growing! The composting will continue moving
into the already DEAD tissue. What killed it then? In 99 cases out of
100 that I see, the cause of the death is not pathogenic fungi, but
rather environmental conditions, namely anaerobic conditions (too much
water, too little air). The roots cannot tolerate these conditions and die.

This is actually GOOD root rot, because it is easily reversible, just by
correcting the environmental conditions. There are no pathogens to
control or eliminate (good luck!). There is no need to sterilize the
roots, the soil, pots , etc. In fact it is often counterproductive
because you will eliminate all the BENEFICIAL fungi and microorganisms
as well. It is especially wasteful and dangerous to use fungicides,
since they are made to destroy pathogenic fungi, but in most cases, they
are broad spectrum and will kill nearly ALL fungi, pathogenic and
beneficial. I have reversed THOUSANDS of cases of 'root rot' by simply
washing the roots clean, repotting in fresh soil, and optimizing the
growing conditions.

Pathogenic root rot is different and is limited to a very tight set of
conditions and a few (usually) species. Because of this, they are
usually seasonally dependent as well (wet spring weather for example).
Pathogenic fungi and bacteria actually KILLS LIVE tissue as it feeds off
it, and also often blocks the vascular tissue with its mass and by
products, killing other live, uninfected tissue by dehydration (wilts).
After this tissue is killed by the pathogen, non pathogenic composters
will move in and 'rot' the tissue.

What difference does it make? A lot. You can pretty much ignore non
pathogenic fungi after correcting environmental conditions. Treating and
controlling pathogenic fungi is extremely difficult and correcting or
altering the environmental conditions is just the beginning. It is also
INFECTIOUS. Fungicides can play a role in controlling it, but changing
the environment is the most important part. In most cases, it is the
plant itself that will effect the control by shedding parts of itself or
walling off the disease. How do tell the difference? This CAN be most
difficult, and often requires an expert. County Ag extension agents are
trained in this (pathology) and their sub agents or Master Gardeners may
be able to help. The only real way to find out definitively is to submit
samples to a plant pathologist, but by then it is usually too late for a
specific plant. This usually cost money. There used to be many free
university sources, but as FEDERAL funding for this is drying up, most
of us have to pay for this now, including farmers. So consider that
while you are mulling over your political opinions.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

Old 10-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Mathias Uely

I used Aliette on roots rot on a pentaphilla and survived ; (now) 12
months from the infection started , is budding normally but I cut
rots teh little left were into akadama and pozzolane soil very
draining and no fertilizer all year around

Old 11-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Nina

Brent Walston wrote:
Pathogenic fungi and bacteria only eat LIVE tissue,

I'll just correct you for the sake of being annoying. There are two
types of pathogenic fungi: necrotrophs and biotrophs. Biotrophs attack
living tissue. Necrotrophs kill tissue, and then eat it. I only bring
up this trivial distinction because fungi are defined as organisms that
excrete enzymes and then absorb their food. Things in the animal
kingdom *ingest* food. So it is easy for a Phytophthora to excrete
nasty enzymes, kill plant tissue, and then grow into it. [note:
Phytophthora is now defined as an alga in the Kingdom Plantae
so the definition for the Kingdome Fungi is now slightly modified].

although some fungi
that start out as composters can, in some extraordinary cases,

convert
to a pathogenic form.

There's a continuum among necrotrophs, from those readily kill tissue
(Pythium, Fusarium, Verticillium)to those that need special conditions.
Something like Choanephora is largely a "composter", but if it gets an
energy boost, it will turn pathogen. Many fungi like this attack
blossoms; they eat the nectar, get strong, then attack the branch.
Botrytis cineria is a weak pathogen, but in the presence of flowers,
wounds, or honeydew secreted by aphids, it will turn mean.

Fungicides can play a role in controlling it, but changing
the environment is the most important part.

No argument!

In most cases, it is the
plant itself that will effect the control by shedding parts of itself

or
walling off the disease. How do tell the difference? This CAN be most

difficult, and often requires an expert. County Ag extension agents

are
trained in this (pathology) and their sub agents or Master Gardeners

may
be able to help. The only real way to find out definitively is to

submit
samples to a plant pathologist, but by then it is usually too late

for a
specific plant.

Too true. Plus, we tend to pull the plant apart to diagnose it. We
suspect root rot if we see wilting on one side of the plant. To be
sure, we look for brown
streaks in the xylem, which can only be seen by carving up the trunk.
Then we culture and if we come up with a root rot pathogen, we tell you
what to spray to save the *currently healthy* remainder of your plants.
We never try to save the plant brought in as a sample!!! Remember
that if you call Cooperative Extension.
For the bonsaist, it makes sense to assume that repotting will solve
the problem. Either you will, or you won't.

Nina.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Joseph McCoy

"There's a continuum among necrotrophs, from those readily kill tissue
(Pythium, Fusarium, Verticillium)to those that need special conditions.
Something like Choanephora is largely a "composter", but if it gets an
energy boost, it will turn pathogen. Many fungi like this attack blossoms;
they eat the nectar, get strong, then attack the branch. Botrytis cineria is
a weak pathogen, but in the presence of flowers, wounds, or honeydew
secreted by aphids, it will turn mean."

This makes me wonder about the "benefits" of compost teas that are now being
populary sold this season!

Joseph McCoy
Austin, Texas zone8b

Old 11-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Jim Lewis

"There's a continuum among necrotrophs, from those readily kill tissue
(Pythium, Fusarium, Verticillium)to those that need special conditions.
Something like Choanephora is largely a "composter", but if it gets an
energy boost, it will turn pathogen. Many fungi like this attack blossoms;
they eat the nectar, get strong, then attack the branch. Botrytis cineria is
a weak pathogen, but in the presence of flowers, wounds, or honeydew
secreted by aphids, it will turn mean."

This makes me wonder about the "benefits" of compost teas that are now being
populary sold this season!

Why? Compost tea uses a good deal of heat (in addition to the
heat generated in the making of good garden-type compost) in the
process of making it. It should be free of pathogens as a
result. I've never seen the stuff sold (and think it would be
foolish to buy it if you make your own compost), but I've been
known to make it myself. Organic gardeners say that this tea
does have some fungicidal uses, but they also admit it is very
slight. They also tout baking soda, but again don't claim a lot
for it.

The compost spoken of above is so-called "natural" compost --
the stuff that forms under a bed of forest leaves, or in normal
decaying organic material in soil. It is moisture and time,
rather than significant heat (though some heat is involved, of
course in any oxidation-decomposition process), that makes this
compost, and pathogens and other "bugs" are not killed.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 12-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Jim Trahan

"Compost tea uses a good deal of heat (in addition to the heat generated in
the making of good garden-type compost) in the process of making it. It
should be free of pathogens as a result."

Jim, so how is it that heat kills the varmints but keeps the critters? That
is, if both good and bad algae/fungi are exposed to heat, why is it that
only the pathogenic forms are killed by this heat?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 12-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Alan Walker

I should probably stand by and let the experts run this
one, but fools rush in....
Who said that the heat kills only the bad things? Truth
be told, I suspect that some of both survive and most of both are
cooked.
But that misses the bigger point. Dealing with root rot
is a matter of prevention. Keeping a healthy tree in coarse, well
draining soil with good aeration and nutrition are the way to go.
A really healthy tree is not going to have a problem with these
nasties in the first place. It's only when we ignore or neglect
what we know about good horticulture that we have to deal with
root rot in the first place.
I should know. I've been guilty often enough myself more
times than I'm comfortable acknowledging.
Alan Walker

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
[IBC] Stressed Juniper - deadwood/rot treatment planning Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 24-08-2005 02:08 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Peroxide on root rot ? Mark Hill - President, EESiFlo Inc. Bonsai 0 01-08-2005 09:40 PM
[IBC] Compost (was: Root Rot-TREATMENT) Jim Trahan Bonsai 1 12-04-2005 10:13 PM
blosson end rot. what is the treatment? Travis Gardening 1 18-04-2003 02:56 PM