GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Fungicides and bonsai (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/92291-%5Bibc%5D-fungicides-bonsai.html)

Jim Lewis 11-04-2005 04:29 PM

[IBC] Fungicides and bonsai

I think we've about beat this 'un to death, but . . .

We've had a number of glowing testimonials for various chemicals
with virtually unpronouncable trade names (not all of them
readily available everywhere, so therefore useless to many of us
anyway) that include statements to the effect that a dose of
(this) "cured" my tree.

Unless that is ALL you did, I wouldn't bet the farm on that
treatment next time. But . . . chances are, you also repotted
and revised your watering schedule (in the case of suspected
root rot) or pruned away affected parts (in the case of fungi
and diseases that attack stems and leaves, etc.) and cleaned up
around them and took other cultural steps. So, in the interests
of saving you money (because a GOOD fungicide isn't cheap, and I
wouldn't trust the chemical's shelf life for NEXT year's
treatment, so you need to buy a fresh batch every year) I'd
suggest that it is much more likely that the other steps you
took solved the problem and not the chemical.

You've had several folks with credentials in this field (AND me
:-) say you're wasting your money. Seems like that _could be_
advice worth trying (at least).

But, do what you will -- AS you will; but please just be careful
what you recommend to the neophyte who asks the next question,
based on very poor data as to what is really causing the problem
he or she is having.

I made this a new thread so PERHAPS it will show up in a well-
thought-out search of our archives.

Jim Lewis - - Hit THINK before you hit SEND

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++