Old 15-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Ficus leaves versus Maple leaves!

Jim

Some time back, I had sent some information about the Bonsai Club (India) and a few pictures to 20 active ICBers. I got a very good response from most of them. As you had advised me to post the pictures on the IBC galleries, today in a maiden attempt I posted a picture of the new leaves of India's most popular Ficus species-- *Ficus virens*; on the *Testing Forum* of IBC galleries. In late spring this species starts giving new leaves which are maroon-red. As they mature they turn copper-red and eventually green. There are many cousins, clones and hybrids of this species, and each gives leaves of different hues of red. One of these is very popular and is known as *Lipstick Ficus*.

Chandigarh has some avenues lined with these trees. It is a breath taking scene, when in late spring new leaves sprout and it becomes difficult to judge whether Maples before fall look more beautiful or these ficuses in late spring!

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 15-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Jim Lewis

Thanks. The leaves _are_ colorful. And thanks for the pics of the
show in India. How large a show was it?
--
Jim Lewis - - The idea of wilderness needs no
defense. It only needs more defenders. Edward Abby

On 4/15/05, Anil Kaushik wrote:
[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 15-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Bart Thomas

Pretty tree. How large are the leaves? Do they reduce well for bonsai?

Thanks.

Old 15-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Mathias Uely

Hi Anil could we see the pictures also ? thanks
can send privately to me

Old 16-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Anil Kaushik

Jim

Thanks for the message. Well it was a reasonably good show. I guess there were about two hundred trees. The ambience was very good. It was held in the Banquet hall of *Maurya Sheraton* --- one of the top hotels in New Delhi. Side by side there was a four days Bonsai convention. It was organised by Indian Bonsai Association, New Delhi. There were three international masters Peter Chain from England, Robert Stevenson from Indonesia and Hiroshi Saito from Japan.

The pictures which I posted on the main gallery were clicked in a hurry through the jostling crowd. This is the reason that these are not as crisp as I had planed, there is some camera shake. Nevertheless it is a prelude to the shape of things to come.

Old 16-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Anil Kaushik

Bart

Thanks for the message.

Ficus virens/infectoria is a large, wide spreading, fast growing deciduous tree,
cultivated to adorn roadsides as an avenue tree. The leaves are about 4" long
ovate or ovate-oblong. Heavy root pruning in the spring and complete
defoliation twice during peak summers considerably reduces the size of the
leaves (about 1"). Medium to large size Bonsai looks very good, especially if
trained in its natural shape i.e. like a wide mushroom!