Old 20-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] URGENT - webmaster needed - DO NOT REPLY TO LIST

Our search for a webmaster for the IBC website and galleries
(www.internetbonsaiclub.org) has reached crisis point.

Nic finds himself unable to continue -- even part-time to look at a
crisis like the one we had yesterday (which was over by the time he
could look). But there WILL be times when the crisis of the moment
doesn't resolve itself, and we need someone to be there.

We also need someone to work on maintaining and updating the site. (See
below for his comment on the "Mambo" system that runs the site.) Nic
has given me "administrator" privileges on the site and I, who have NO
knowledge of web science (or art, as the case may be) am trying to learn
enough of the Mambo-"jambo" to keep things like the Knowledge base
updated (but I'm having trouble with getting graphics in place in some
articles -- tho I'll figure it out) but I don't know HTML or any of the
other gibberish he notes below and really do not have the time to do it,
anyway --that's why I gave up "ownership" of this list. I'll happily
retain "administrator" status to help where I can, but I don't want to
be the only holder of that job. And that is NOT in the same class as
"Webmaster" who can do all sorts of unimaginable (to me) things.

Anyway, we're now effectively WITHOUT A WEBMASTER.

Here's the relevant gist of a conversation I had today with Nic ( is
me and is Nic):

Could you handle co-webmastership for a bit?

co-webmastering, not particularly. Being available to respond to a

bunch of questions from the new person, yeah. Even do some tech support
here and there. So I guess it would be a form of co-thingmagajig, but I
want my name/address gone from the site.

When I put out the plea again, can I insert your e-mail addy?

Yes, go for that. But please make sure (or as sure as possible) that

it doesn't come just to me.

So, applicants PLEASE respond to Nic at AND to me at

. And include me in all "conversations."

Any particular "skills" an applicant would need?

1. Patience (with humans and computer systems)
2. An understanding of the concepts behind database driven websites.
3. An ability to research, learn and troubleshoot.
4. Basic understanding of HTML and CSS an asset, but not necessary at

this point.
5. Basic understanding of PHP/MySQL an asset, but not particularly

necessary.
6. Have available time on their hands.

I should point out that a major reason for the move I did to mambo

based site last year was to set it up so content could be added and
managed more easily without a need for actually knowing coding.

End of conversation.

So, IF YOU WANT OUR WEBSITE AND GALLERIES TO STAY FUNCTIONAL, AND IF YOU
HAVE THE INCLINATION AND (hopefully) AT LEAST SOME OF THE REQUISITE
SKILLS, PLEASE APPLY.

Again, the primary address is:

Copies should be sent to me at:

(and I might imagine that Shelly will want to be in the loop, also).

DO IT NOW!

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Who REALLY, REALLY
likes the Mozilla Thunderbird mail/news program

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++