Old 24-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Susan L. Marsh

Default [IBC] Locating Bonsai Pots in Port St. Lucie, FL?

Hi all-I just found this list and was wondering if anyone in the Treasure
Coast area of Florida could tell me where I could get bonsai pots locally.
("online" isn't locally LOL). If I had only had access to a kiln... I'm
new to bonsai, a friend of mine does it mainly using Portulacaria's and I
made off with a bunch of cuttings. I also found some Junipers ('nana'
type) at HD and Lowe's I liked, although I've heard they are hard to keep
alive in this area. I'm interested in learning as much as I can, and heard
a rumor that there's a bonsai clue that meets in Ft. Pierce.. now to track
down the rumor! If anyone had any idea or hints on where to get pots
(mainly training ones at this point) I'd appreciate it.. thank you!

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 4/24/2005 4:00:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Hi all-I just found this list and was wondering if anyone in the Treasure
Coast area of Florida could tell me where I could get bonsai pots locally.
("online" isn't locally LOL).

If you hook up with the Ft. Pierce Club they will help you find pots.

Portulacaria's and I made off with a bunch of cuttings. I also found some
Junipers ('nana' type) at HD and Lowe's I liked, although I've heard they are
hard to keep
alive in this area.

This is true. We work with a lot of Ficus and the club members will
help you find varieties that work well.

I'm interested in learning as much as I can, and heard a rumor that
there's a bonsai clue that meets in Ft. Pierce..

Treasure Coast Bonsai Society
1755 74th Avenue,Vero Beach,FL 32966-1340

Meets at Saint Lucie County Agricultural Center
8400 Picos Road,Fort Pierce,FL This is just north of
the Ft. Pierce interchange of the FL Turnpike and very near the HiLi Fontoon
(sp)
2nd Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m.
President is Richard Turner (772)569-5630

Ernest Johndrow (772)286-0815

Barbara Poglitsch (772)287-5356

Ray Malin (772)466-0054

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Jim Lewis

Susan L. Marsh wrote:
Hi all-I just found this list and was wondering if anyone in the Treasure
Coast area of Florida could tell me where I could get bonsai pots locally.
("online" isn't locally LOL).

What IS local in your mind? There's a bonsai nursery in Jupiter to your
north and another in Homestead to the south.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature encourages
no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 25-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Sue Marsh

Bonsai nursery in Jupiter?! That's local enough! (homestead is a little
far)... it's not in any of my yellow pages...... what's it called?
From: Jim Lewis
Subject: [IBC] Locating Bonsai Pots in Port St. Lucie, FL?
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:07:01 -0400

http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/

Old 25-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Jim Lewis

Sue Marsh wrote:
Bonsai nursery in Jupiter?! That's local enough! (homestead is a little
far)... it's not in any of my yellow pages...... what's it called?

Ta da! Jupiter Bonsai. 561-746-5074 - directions on the website:
http://jupiterbonsai.com.

I've never been there, so . . . .

There's also one in Brevard County, a bit further north. Durra-Stone
Co. -- http://jimsmithbonsai.com -- and I HAVE been there. Great!

Old 25-04-2005, 01:04 PM

There is a listing of Florida bonsai plant and supply providers on the BSF website. They are divided by region. Check it out at www.bonsai-bsf.com

Tom Zane, BSF Webmaster

From: Jim Lewis

Old 04-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Sue Marsh

I'm curious as to what other people have planted bonsai in besides regular
pots. For instance, I've got a few pre-bonsais growing in a shot glass, a
mug, a dog dish (plastic with holes drilled in the bottom), and a whelk
shell (it's cracked so it drains well). A few days ago a friend of mine and
I were eating lunch at a mexican restaurant and I remarked that the salsa
bowls would be cool bonsai pots... later that same and I was at the dollar
store and lo and behold I found a twin pack of similar dishes! Conned said
friend into drilling holes in the bottoms (by giving him two) and viola...
bonsai pots! What else have you guys and gals used over the years to either
grow out cuttings or put bonsai in? I love the "off the wall" stuff myself
.
Susan L. Marsh
www.susanszoocrew.com

http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/o...ave/direct/01/

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-05-2005, 01:51 AM
Jim Lewis

I'm curious as to what other people have planted bonsai in besides regular
pots. For instance, I've got a few pre-bonsais growing in a shot glass, a
mug, a dog dish (plastic with holes drilled in the bottom), and a whelk
shell (it's cracked so it drains well). A few days ago a friend of mine and
I were eating lunch at a mexican restaurant and I remarked that the salsa
bowls would be cool bonsai pots... later that same and I was at the dollar
store and lo and behold I found a twin pack of similar dishes! Conned said
friend into drilling holes in the bottoms (by giving him two) and viola...
bonsai pots! What else have you guys and gals used over the years to either
grow out cuttings or put bonsai in? I love the "off the wall" stuff myself

Sake cups make nice mame/kusamono containers. Japanese rice
bowls, ditto and since those often are some of the prettiest
ceramics in the world, they're often quite striking (hard to
drill porcelain, but it can be done). Tall bud vases for
cascades. Walnut shell for a small Chinese elm (briefly).

I have several different Japanese tea cups drilled for bonsai.

Ceramic roofing tiles make nice trays for larger trees.

Floor tiles -- chipped around the edges for irregularity (or
not) or cut smaller make nice platforms for multi-tree groups or
clump style trees.

I have a mid-sized Chinese elm growing on a burl from a dead
tree; it'll rot away before too long. It is one big mass of
moss and fern with a small tree growing from the top.

My tastes don't run to the truly odd things for containers --
coffee pots, hubcaps, etc., but I've seen those used. I DO have
a potensai growing in the stainless grease splatter tray you'd
put around your burners on an electric stove. ;-) But that's
NOT a permanent home. Nice drainage hole, though.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Robert J. Baran

From the Phoenix Bonsai Society's FAQ page:

Check also the various import stores, Oriental markets, and
thrift shops. Many of our members have been pleasantly surprised by the
occasional "diamond in the rough" discovered at these kinds of places.
Finally, consider these traditional American (if somewhat
heretical) alternatives if your trees are anywhere from just dug to a
ways to go before you would consider them ready for formal display:
ceramic food serving trays, wooden packing crates or oak whiskey barrel
halves, the ubiquitous orange Italian clay flower pots, some of the less
ornate Mexican clay flower pots, thrift store-found ceramic pots, partly
hollowed-out pieces of pumice rock or slabs of slate, metal or plastic
oil pans or mortar-mixing bins, and even large plastic mixing bowls or
cut-down milk jugs. Very large specimens have even been known to get a
dedicated wheel barrow. All of these need to be given necessary
drainage holes before they can be used as half-way homes for your
potential masterpieces.

Cordially,

Robert J. Baran
outside of Kingman