Old 30-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Vincent Kreyling

Default [IBC] (IBC) Fertilizing and watering

Hi,

I am very new to bonsai and have some questions about fertilizing and
watering. There seems to be some conflicting ideas about how much fertilizer to use
during application (full strength or diluted) and how often to apply the
solution. I was wondering what the consensus was on this topic. I live on Long
Island in New York, where it is also raining almost every other day. I was
wondering how others handled this type of weather to prevent root rot and
other problems from developing. I know there is a member of the listserv who
lives on Long Island and I would be interested in his opinions also, since we
both live in the same climate.

Thank you in advance,

Vinny

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Henrik Gistvall

If you live in a very rainy climate, a very well drainig soil mix is
important. I would suggest you use pumice, granit grit, crushed lava or
similar components for your soil mix.

When it comes to fertilizing you can either use fertilizing pellets eg
Biogold or use a small amount of regular houseplant fertilizer every
time you water, 1 ml (approx. 0.03 oz) house plant fertilizer to 1 liter
(approx 33 oz) of water.
Using a well draining soil mix and almost every day rain will quickly
drain the fertilizer out of the soil if you add full/half strength
fertlizer every second week. With the methods I suggest, small amounts
of fertilizer is added to the soil often which is better for the tree.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Vincent Kreyling wrote:

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Steven Wachs

I live on Long Island. I do not seem to have a problem with root rot. I fnd the wind to be a pain. I use ferilizer at 1/2 of what is on the label. I feed the trees every 2 weeks. it seemsto work out well for me.

SteveW
Long Island NY