Old 02-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Sam Vanhoutte

Default Got bonsai for present, but don't know what tree it is?

Hello,

I receive a bonsai tree for present, but there was no namecard with it, so I
don't know what tree it is. I even don't know if it is an outside or an
inside tree.
I placed some pictures on my website : http://www.solvosoft.be/bonsai . Can
someone try to figure out what tree it is?

Any help with be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Sam Vanhoutte

Old 02-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Chinese Elm

I receive a bonsai tree for present, but there was no namecard with it, so I
don't know what tree it is. I even don't know if it is an outside or an
inside tree.
I placed some pictures on my website :
http://www.solvosoft.be/bonsai . Can
someone try to figure out what tree it is?

Any help with be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Sam Vanhoutte

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Jim Lewis

Sam Vanhoutte wrote:
Hello,

I receive a bonsai tree for present, but there was no namecard with it, so I
don't know what tree it is. I even don't know if it is an outside or an
inside tree.
I placed some pictures on my website : http://www.solvosoft.be/bonsai . Can
someone try to figure out what tree it is?

As Billy said, it is a Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia), and a quite nice
one, too. Chinese elms are outdoor trees that CAN be grown inside, but
with a lot of extra care.

For the most healthy conditions, they will need to be kept outside long
enough in the fall to have some period of dormancy, if even a brief one.
They probably need to be kept inside during your North Sea winters
(assuming you are in The Netherlands) after they've had some colder weather.

If you would check the "Knowledge Base" pages of our website (address
below) you can find a numnber of articles on basic bonsai care that
should help you keep your tree healthy and in shape.

Good luck.

jim