GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Ameican Elm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/93888-re-%5Bibc%5D-ameican-elm.html)

[email protected] 11-05-2005 01:46 PM

[IBC] Ameican Elm

In a message dated 5/11/05 12:12:59 AM, Terry writes:

I've just received an Ulmus americana 'Princeton' in a five gallon pot
....but I am curious if anyone has successfully cultivated this tree for bonsai.

Yes. There is one in the North American collection of the Montreal Botanic
Garden, by Dave Easterbrook. It is collected, & when I saw it it didn't have the
classic wine-glass shape. As others have suggested, there are better elms for
bonsai, unless you want to do it for sentimental reasons. If you want an elm
bonsai in the American elm style, 'Jacqueline Hillier' is your best choice.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++