GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Purple Maples (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/94111-re-%5Bibc%5D-purple-maples.html)

[email protected] 15-05-2005 02:13 PM

[IBC] Purple Maples

In a message dated 5/15/05 12:06:43 AM, Steve writes:
being the leaves are purple. are they grafted trees? Good purple color
sometimes are.

Many of the Atropurpureum type Japanese maples produce abundant seedlings.
The only drawback to using them in a forest planting is that no two are exactly
alike. If you want a uniform appearance, you have to use cuttings.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 15-05-2005 02:20 PM

wrote:
In a message dated 5/15/05 12:06:43 AM, Steve writes:

being the leaves are purple. are they grafted trees? Good purple color
sometimes are.

Many of the Atropurpureum type Japanese maples produce abundant seedlings.
The only drawback to using them in a forest planting is that no two are exactly
alike. If you want a uniform appearance, you have to use cuttings.
Iris

Which raises the question "why would you WANT a uniform
appearance?"

Too many bonsai look artificial already.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Steve wachs 16-05-2005 03:26 AM

That is why I asked if the trees were grafts. Grafts are the only way to maintain ttrrue integrity of a particular cultivar. If they were from the same tree they would look the same. Cuttings from Atropurpeum are fairly easy. The Atropurpeum colors vary a lot. the nsme Atropurpeum is actually used for various red leaf Palmatums It is Hard to find extreme Purple color except in grafted cultivars. The Moonfire and Bosgroop Glory both have a deep purple color. I am sure there are more, but I have these 2
SteveW
Long Island NY