Old 20-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Dave C

Default Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai

Hello to all. I'm a relatively new convert to the hobby and art of Bonsai.
I have read alot of books at my local library and found what I think is some
great info. I also bought Harry Tomlinson's "RD Home Handbooks: Bonsai"
book and I like it alot. I bought my first tree, a promegrante, this past
Feb. I am enjoying it quite a bit, but I just wished that I had more time
to devote to my new hobby. I also live in Los Angeles, CA in case anyone
needs to know for any advice you might give me. I do have a few questions
that I hope some of you can help me with.

1. One day this past March, I noticed alot of tiny black-like objects on
the underside of the leaves of my promegrante tree. After very close
inspection they appeared to be very small insect like bugs. I proceeded to
hose them off daily as well as cut off some leaves and areas where I could
not remove them. After a few days I applied an insecticide / fungicide
spray and the I have not noticed this problem again. However I am now
noticing tiny flea-like bugs that fly around and also are on the surface of
the soil. When the plant is moved they will sometimes fly off the soil and
around the tree. Any ideas as to what these might be and how I get rid of
them?

2. I'm also noticing these bugs in my trays and tiny pots that I'm trying
to propogate seeds in. Can these bugs become a problem because I actually
have a few seeds beginning to sprout and the are becoming seedlings? If so
is there something I should do? Perhaps I am over watering the seeds and
seedlings and this is attracting bugs.

I have many other questions about soil, repotting, root pruning, & air
layering, but this might help me out for now since this seems to be the most
pressing problem at present. I'm also interested in perhaps corresponding
and exchanging Bonsai stories with others about my findings and learning
some new techniques.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might provide.
Dave

Old 20-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Nina

I agree with Billy about the aphids and fungus gnats; I just want to
point out that while fungus gnats are relatively harmless to adult
plants (although an indicator of too-wet conditions), their larvae can
damage young seedlings. They feed on young roots and in seedlings, can
damage the stem.

I would plant seeds in BIG pots, which are easier to water than *tiny*
pots (which are either too wet or too dry). When the seedlings are big
enough, I'd then transplant each to its own pot.

-Nina

Old 20-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Nina wrote:
I agree with Billy about the aphids and fungus gnats; I just want to
point out that while fungus gnats are relatively harmless to adult
plants (although an indicator of too-wet conditions), their larvae can
damage young seedlings. They feed on young roots and in seedlings, can
damage the stem.

I would plant seeds in BIG pots, which are easier to water than *tiny*
pots (which are either too wet or too dry). When the seedlings are big
enough, I'd then transplant each to its own pot.

-Nina

I'd amend this only to say that the pots, while large,
should be relatively shallow in relation to surface area and
with LOTS of drainage. And then, you should water only when
the soil an inch or so under the surface feels dry.

In deep, large pots, seedlings cannot reach/use all the
water and the soil is likely to get soggy.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
use it with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County
Almanac

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Pesky birds and my precious cherries! [email protected] United Kingdom 3 24-06-2007 02:56 PM
pesky pepper problems john Edible Gardening 18 28-06-2005 03:12 AM
[IBC] Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 20-05-2005 11:10 AM
Pesky Lawn Weeds JeffLaw Gardening 67 06-03-2004 04:22 AM
Lawn weed.Pesky!! Peter H Lawns 6 22-07-2003 06:33 AM