GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Vermiculite (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/94517-re-%5Bibc%5D-vermiculite.html)

[email protected] 22-05-2005 02:41 PM

[IBC] Vermiculite

In a message dated 5/22/05 12:06:08 AM, Billy writes:
Our soils contain organic elements that break down as well as inorganics
such as perlite and vermiculite that break down.

I never heard of perlite breaking down. It is an air-popped volcanic rock &
stays for years. I wouldn't use it in bonsai soil because it floats to the
surface, but many people find it useful. Vermiculite does break down. It turns to
mush in short order. I would never use it in bonsai soil, but I imagine some
people find it appropriate. For an absorbent inorganic component, I would
prefer Turface, Haydite, or flourite.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 22-05-2005 04:15 PM

In a message dated 5/22/2005 9:41:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

perlite breaking down. It is an air-popped volcanic rock &
stays for years.

Agreed

I wouldn't use it in bonsai soil because it floats to the surface, but
many people find it useful. Vermiculite does break down. It turns to mush in
short order. I would never use it in bonsai soil, but I imagine some people find
it appropriate.

Some commercial soils come with both Vermiculite and Perlite. You are
correct that vermiculite turns to mush.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --