Old 24-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Jo Trojer

Default [IBC] Mission imp...Birch

Mission imp... Birch - 2005/05/24 12:50
Yesterday I stumbled over a Birch (white bark) growing out between a pavement and wall with a nice thick 3 inch trunk. At the same time I saw the gardners clearing the area and asked whether they are going to get rid of the Brich and they said that it will be gone by tomorrow evening! I searched for the person in charge and got the go-ahead to try and salvage the Birch tonight after work....

Q1: Is it too late in the growing season for it to survive this?
Q2: Any tips what to do directly after salvaging? Bonsai soil okay?

Jo Trojer - RCI President/Coach
Innsbruck - Austria
www.rugby-innsbruck.at

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Pauline Muth

What can you lose by trying? The tree is doomed to the trash pile so try.
Cut back some of the foliage if possible.
Put in soil appropiate....no idea what is good in Austria....need to ask a
local...here I work use my bonsai soil
Needs a humid environment after transplant....a misting system is ideal.
Good luck...I am sure you will get lots of hints from others.
Pauline F Muth Zone 4 West Charlton NY USA
www.pfmbonsai.com

Yesterday I stumbled over a Birch (white bark) growing out between a
pavement and wall with a nice thick 3 inch trunk. At the same time I saw the
gardners clearing the area and asked whether they are going to get rid of
the Brich and they said that it will be gone by tomorrow evening! I searched
for the person in charge and got the go-ahead to try and salvage the Birch
tonight after work....

Q1: Is it too late in the growing season for it to survive this?
Q2: Any tips what to do directly after salvaging? Bonsai soil okay?

Jo Trojer - RCI President/Coach
Innsbruck - Austria
www.rugby-innsbruck.at

****
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Jim Lewis

Jo Trojer wrote:
Mission imp... Birch - 2005/05/24 12:50
Yesterday I stumbled over a Birch (white bark) growing out between a pavement and wall with a nice thick 3 inch trunk. At the same time I saw the gardners clearing the area and asked whether they are going to get rid of the Brich and they said that it will be gone by tomorrow evening! I searched for the person in charge and got the go-ahead to try and salvage the Birch tonight after work....

Q1: Is it too late in the growing season for it to survive this?

Probably. On the other hand it's not going to survive the
gardeners' attack, either, so if you don't mind the work
there's always a chance.

Q2: Any tips what to do directly after salvaging? Bonsai soil okay?

Shade, Moist but not soggy, well-draining soil with organic
matter (pine bark, etc.). Out of all wind. Acid fertilizer
-- immediately if you get a lot of root, in a couple of
weeks if you don't.

One thing. While birch are frequently bonsaied, they come
with a set of problems. Virtually every insect known loves
their leaves. They have their own borer -- the bronze birch
borer. Various leaf spot diseases also are common. They
are relatively short lived.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 24-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Jo Trojer

Von: Jim Lewis

Q2: Any tips what to do directly after salvaging? Bonsai soil okay?

Shade, Moist but not soggy, well-draining soil with organic
matter (pine bark, etc.). Out of all wind. Acid fertilizer
-- immediately if you get a lot of root, in a couple of
weeks if you don't.

One thing. While birch are frequently bonsaied, they come
with a set of problems. Virtually every insect known loves
their leaves. They have their own borer -- the bronze birch
borer. Various leaf spot diseases also are common. They
are relatively short lived.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Jo: Sounds like a challenge! Will post pics to the IBC forum when I am done! I hope I can get enough roots for it to survive but it looks dodgy... Very fine crack it is growing out of and I might have to chop a lot!