GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Gardenia help (Radicans) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/95204-re-%5Bibc%5D-gardenia-help-radicans.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 02-06-2005 09:39 AM

[IBC] Gardenia help (Radicans)

In a message dated 6/1/2005 9:29:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I have kept the cultivar 'radicans' for many years now. It has small
leaves and flowers. I have never tried to wire it, because I can't see
a way to do it without being fakey. I trim it. It looks OK, but it
isn't a bonsai by any stretch of the imagination. It's the fragrance.
Oh man, it's the fragrance.

I have killed a number of these. Probably too much water. I am seeing
a lot of Gardenia plants in nursery sections of discount stores as well as
local nurseries that have very high grafts. These grafts are at six inches or
more and easy to spot. They are clef grafts made with a V in the top of the stem
and the bark is different on the scion and the graft. Someone gave me one
from their yard here on the space coast. I don't think they will ever be happy
here as we are too hot and humid.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --