Old 05-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Tiziano

Default Juniperus rigida /needle juniper

HI all
I bought one today ,the label said Chinese juniperus
but I think is rather the Japanese one
the needles smell wonderfully cedar like , I touched
others simlar looking in the park but no smell at all .
Any information about this variety and about the smell?
is this strong pleasnat cedar like smell a caratheristic of
a variety? thanks
Tiziano

Old 06-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Jim Lewis

Tiziano wrote:
HI all
I bought one today ,the label said Chinese juniperus
but I think is rather the Japanese one
the needles smell wonderfully cedar like , I touched
others simlar looking in the park but no smell at all .
Any information about this variety and about the smell?
is this strong pleasnat cedar like smell a caratheristic of
a variety? thanks

Well, AFIK, the "Japanese" juniper is Juniperus chinensis
(whatever), which is the "Chinese juniper." There are more
variants of that species, I think than Hector had pups, and
it is "native" to a very wide range.

The juniper smell is wonderful. There's nothing at all like
standing on a mountain top in New Mexico and inhaling the
air redolent of several kinds of junipers.

Junipers that grow in urban parks are more likely to smell
of auto exhaust than of clean fresh needles.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Tiziano

Jim Lewis wrote:

Hi Jim
Well, AFIK, the "Japanese" juniper is Juniperus chinensis (whatever),
which is the "Chinese juniper." There are more variants of that
species, I think than Hector had pups, and it is "native" to a very wide
range.

OK

The juniper smell is wonderful. There's nothing at all like standing on
a mountain top in New Mexico and inhaling the air redolent of several
kinds of junipers.

wow sounds great this was is smelling wonderfully ..
in our parks I can smell trees but like cypress pines
cedars sequoias but no one has this strong scent
well a plus for teh bonsai to be actually I am studying
the overall features as it has many branches and I try to
make a sketch of the final result and the esisting branches
and see how them can be used properly before cutting or
making a jin..
at the same time I am looking in all my books and reviews
and net for pictures because more oen sees betetr
solutions can find and anyway will be kept in his container
until next spring so I start already to shape it before
repotting
I am 3 rooms away and he is on teh balcony and scent is
coming in ripples to my nose incredible
it is said to take at least 3-4 years before making
something reasonable in look as each stage of work takes
time..
as is very vigorous, I will avoid to cut too much to
have after to re-grow what I cut ..
it is a challenge
Thanks again
Tiziano