GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] British English (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/96036-%5Bibc%5D-british-english.html)

[email protected] 17-06-2005 01:40 PM

[IBC] British English

Thanks to all who helped expand my vocabulary, especially including the
picture.
So a council house is essentially subsidized low income housing. A council
estate is what we would call a housing project. And terraced houses are what we
call row houses. If they are one story, we call them patio homes.
I just found a new one, a poker-worked sign (on wood). I assume it means
wood-burning. Fashionable for rustic house signs and decorated woodenware.

In the mystery series I'm reading, the couple who reside in the council house
are poor, elderly, obnoxious, and accomplished schnorrers. A schnorrer is
somebody who asks for a favor or handout with the assumption it is something he
is entitled to.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[email protected] 17-06-2005 09:38 PM

In a message dated 6/17/05 11:21:52 AM, writes:
Schnorrer whats that? never heard the expression, sounds German, certainly
not English.

I was sort of joking. It is now American English, one of the 20 or so words
incorporated from Yiddish, which is why it sounds German (Old High German, to
be precise). As I explained, a schnorrer is someone who asks for a favor or
money, or some other handout, with the implication that he is fully entitled to
it. You know the type.

Council Houses are not necessarily for low income, and the rents are not
low either!!

All I know is what I have read. According to Wikipedia, council housing today
is mostly on the low end.
I would still say the equivalent American term is subsidized housing, which
is all I really wanted to ascertain.
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --