GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Cutting Down Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/96273-%5Bibc%5D-cutting-down-trees.html)

Martha Fifield 22-06-2005 02:48 AM

[IBC] Cutting Down Trees

I am new to bonsai and have a question. I have noticed that my bonsai teacher often cuts down trees severely, leaving only one foot of tree left, in order to better develop bonsai material. Is this a practice that can be done with all trees or only certain trees. If only certain trees can tolerate such "pruning", what kinds of trees can tolerate it? ( ie. deciduos, evergreens, conifers) and when is the proper season to do this?
Thanks!
Martha

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 22-06-2005 03:10 AM

Martha Fifield wrote:
I am new to bonsai and have a question. I have noticed
that my bonsai teacher often cuts down trees severely,
leaving only one foot of tree left, in order to better
develop bonsai material. Is this a practice that can be
done with all trees or only certain trees. If only
certain trees can tolerate such "pruning", what kinds of
trees can tolerate it? ( ie. deciduos, evergreens,
conifers) and when is the proper season to do this?
Thanks! Martha

Go he http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm

That article and the linked article to Black Pines shold
explain it better than we can.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --