GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Mame Bonsai Suggestions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/96977-%5Bibc%5D-mame-bonsai-suggestions.html)

K S 06-07-2005 03:22 AM

[IBC] Mame Bonsai Suggestions

Group,

I'm interested in trying my hand at some Mame bonsai.
Any suggestions on species that lend themselves well?
I have seen Ilex crenata that are dwarf varieties that
don't exceed one foot. And Picea species that are
dwarves as well as a dwarf elm. Any suggestions?

Keith

http://mail.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Steve wachs 06-07-2005 05:59 AM

YOU CAN KEEP MOST TREES UNDER A FOOT . SOME ARE MORE OF A CHALLENGE THAN OTHERS

SteveW
Long Island NY

I'm interested in trying my hand at some Mame bonsai.
Any suggestions on species that lend themselves well?
I have seen Ilex crenata that are dwarf varieties that
don't exceed one foot. And Picea species that are
dwarves as well as a dwarf elm. Any suggestions?

Keith

http://mail.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 06-07-2005 01:04 PM

Steve W. gave a very extensive list of suggestions. I would add that:

1. many of his suggestions will not do well in warm/hot
climates such as Florida.
2. Mame undergo more stress than larger plants from the
extremes of climate.
3. My first choice for my climate would probably be Fukien
Tea, the small leaf variety.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 06-07-2005 01:45 PM

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
Steve W. gave a very extensive list of suggestions. I would add that:

1. many of his suggestions will not do well in warm/hot
climates such as Florida.
2. Mame undergo more stress than larger plants from the
extremes of climate.
3. My first choice for my climate would probably be Fukien
Tea, the small leaf variety.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Two of the best: Ligustrum sinensis (Chinese privet) and
Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon holly -- the Schilling's dwarf
variety). Both will take the extremes that mame are subject
too -- off-and-on dryness, soggyness; hard pruning, frequent
transplanting and root pruning, and both have naturally tiny
leaves. Close behind on all of these fronts is the common
boxwood, Buxus mycrophylla for all of the same reasons.

NONE of these are indoor trees and, in fact, 3-6 inch mame
bonsai are extremely hard to keep alive indoors -- ANY species.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature