Old 07-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] A new translation????

Early in the new Sunset "Bonsai" (still a worthwhile, if a bit
quirky, book, BTW) it says:

"The term bonsai . . . combines two Japanese words, bon meaning
tray and sai meaning to create."

That's a new take on the translation for me -- and doesn't seem
to make much sense.

Where's Peter when you need him? (Ans: In Kyoto having fun ;-)

Ernie?

(Speaking of Peter, he has a very interesting article in the
current issue of International Bonsai.)

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Andy Rutledge

Hi Jim,

In my kanji books, "sai" is defined as "to plant." I'm referring to the
specific character used in the term "bonsai" and not just any old "sai."
The odd translation in the new (and pretty darn good) Sunset Bonsai book is
probably due to a bit of embellishment. Who knows why.... In strict, even
general terms, this is an inaccurate translation. Doesn't matter much, I
guess, since it's not a matter of substance. Have 5 people EVER agreed what
"bonsai" is? ;-)

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

Old 07-03-2003, 03:59 PM
dalecochoy

Old 07-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Andy Rutledge

Hi Dale,

"Garden" can be niwa or teien or en, but "en" is usually used as a
descriptor, attached to a name (Tokai-en, Mansei-en). The general noun
"garden," is just niwa. I'm not sure where "teien" is used, but it is
probably either dialectic or colloquial.

"Go not to the kanji books for advice, for they will say both no and yes."
-- frustrated Nihongo student.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

Since we are talking about translations...
My kanji book lists "En" for garden AND "Tei" for garden. " The Journal

of
Japanese Gardening" publication is written by Roth who signs himself as
"Roth Tei-En". I asked Peter A. about this and he really couldn't answer.
What is the difference in the two words. Commonly we see "En" as a garden,
especially in bonsai gardens, ads, business names,etc. Is it possible

that
"Tei-en" combined means "Gardener"? but, I don't really get that from the
book translations. Eh?
I'm losing sleep over this! :)
Regards,
Dale Cochoy,

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-03-2003, 04:45 PM
dalecochoy

From: "dalecochoy"
Since we are talking about translations...
My kanji book lists "En" for garden AND "Tei" for garden. " The Journal

of
Japanese Gardening" publication is written by Roth who signs himself as
"Roth Tei-En". I asked Peter A. about this and he really couldn't

answer.
What is the difference in the two words. Commonly we see "En" as a

garden,
especially in bonsai gardens, ads, business names,etc. Is it possible

that
"Tei-en" combined means "Gardener"? but, I don't really get that from

the
book translations. Eh?
I'm losing sleep over this! :)
Regards,
Dale Cochoy,

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Dale. Hi Andy.

Dale notes:
... My kanji book lists "En" for garden AND "Tei" for
garden... I'm losing sleep over this! :)

_Teien_ in Japanese reference to gardens is a proper compound construction
which can mean "garden" or "park." It is composed of the characters _tei_
(can also be pronounced "_niwa_"), which is the early word construction for
"garden area" and _en_ (can also be pronounced _sono_), which can be
written using two different characters (one form without an enclosing square
is primarily used now for "Imperial garden" but was formerly used in the
sense of "garden" or "farm").

From _tei/niwa_, we also get:
_teizen_: "garden"
_sekitei_: "rock garden"
_niwaki_: "garden tree, shrub"
_niwashi_: "gardener"

From _en/sono_, we also get:
_engei_: "gardening, horticulture" (this could be
non-decorative gardening though I've not
traced the full character set to see)
_den'en_: "fields and gardens, rural districts"
_koen_ (long "o"): "park, public garden"
_hanazono_: "flower garden"
_sono_: "literary garden, institution"

.... using _en_ form for Imperial gardens:
_ gyoen_: "Imperial garden"
_naien_: "inner garden of Imperial Palace"
_bun'en_ : "literary world,
anthology, collection f literary masterpieces"
_geien_: "world opf artists & men of letters"
_kohien_: "name of coffee shop (where there
are gardens)"

Gardens as "fields for learning" and for a commercial invitation, I guess.
Now, I'll be losing sleep with you, Dale... :-)

Andy adds:
I remember a bonsai teacher telling me once
that the square around the "en" symbol denoted
a fenced garden? I dunno?

I tried to find the central character enclosed in the most common "_en_"
form with no success...
:-(

A square enclosure with the symbol of a tree centered inside forms the
character _kon_ (also pronounced _koma_ or _komaru_) meaning "be in
trouble." It was Lafcadio Hearn, I think, who noted that this character
arose from the folk belief that placing a tree in the center of an enclosed
forecourt invites spiritual trouble.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA