Old 19-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Martin

Default culitvating moss on a large scale

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had advice on mass culitvation and harvesting of
mosses for eventual use in bonsai pots. I've noticed moss seems to grow
great on concrete and brickwork in my back garden and wonder if this could
be reproduced on a larger, non-seasonal dependant scale? Perhaps even a
commercial scale? I'd love to be able to go into a bonsai nursery and
purchase a slab of moss any time of the year for my bonsai.

Tis mid Winter here in South Eastern Australia-
averaging 15-6 deg C (59-42 deg F),

Thanks - Martin

Old 19-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Dogma Discharge

"Martin" wrote in message ...
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had advice on mass culitvation and harvesting of
mosses for eventual use in bonsai pots. I've noticed moss seems to grow
great on concrete and brickwork in my back garden and wonder if this could
be reproduced on a larger, non-seasonal dependant scale? Perhaps even a
commercial scale?

Sure you can, I'm not sure about the commercial scale though but you can try
the following:
Lets say you wanted to cover a piece of bark/driftwood or whatever surface
with moss. Take the moss sample and break it up into little pieces. Buy a
coconut from the grocery store and drain the milk out into a spray bottle.
Spray whatever surface lightly with the coconut milk and then garnish with
the little pieces of moss. Insert driftwood/whatever into a plastic blown up
packet and seal it. Place in a position where it receives UNdirect sunlight.

Coconut milk has natural plant growth hormones and soon enough your moss
will have covered whatever it is resting upon. All thats left is to pour
your favourite coco alchoholic beverage, sit back and relax and watch the
moss grow
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 19-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Alan Walker

Buttermilk, which is more widely available than coconuts
in most parts of the world, is a good substitute for your moss
medium.
Alan Walker

From: Dogma Discharge
[...]

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Jay Sinclair

If you are interested in growing moss, a good book is Moss Gardening,
by George Schenk (Timber Press, 1997 ISBN 0-88192-370-2).
Entertainingly written, and with lots of information about moss
cultivation in various situations.

Jay

Old 19-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Mark Hill - President, EESiFlo Inc.

I've read that soaking willow shoots in a bucket of water results in a good
rooting medium.
Something in willow shoots that's a natural rooting hormone.
Does anyone know if it's possible to mash a bunch of new willow branches in
a big bucket to create your own rooting hormone ?

I ask this because I'm creating a new garden in my back yard here in
Pennsylvania with HUGE boulders as accents.
Unfortunately, the boulders don't have that aged look, and I was considering
covering them with a thin layer of dirt and trying to force moss to grow on
them. As usual, I'm looking for a shortcut.

PS ..... I have an unlimited source of willow trees on a creek bank.

Mark Hill - Harrisburg, PA - Zone 6

From: Dogma Discharge
[...]

****
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Dogma Discharge

"Alan Walker" wrote in message
Buttermilk, which is more widely available than coconuts
in most parts of the world, is a good substitute for your moss
medium.
Alan Walker

Alan I can positively say that you are wrong! It has to be from a fresh
coconut. I've been doing this at home via Tissue Culture and it will only
work with *real* fresh coconut milk. Try it for yourself.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 19-07-2005, 03:52 PM
C. Worth

I've read the same thing, Mark. I haven't seen any rigorous studies on
it, but that doesn't mean they're not out there. It rings true to me,
because my grandmother's generation occasionally would crush up and
dissolve an aspirin and water with the solution. The active
compound--acetysalicylic acid--occurs naturally in willow bark.

Since willows root easily in water at almost any diameter, you could
try getting a big fat willow cutting, suspending it in water, and then
using the water as a rooting solution. That way, you get a tree out of
it, too. I'd recommend the buttermilk for moss. The recipe I've always
heard was successful was to harvest some moss, knock off as much dirt
as possible, and put it and a cup of buttermilk in a blender. You can
use the resulting slurry to "paint" moss on wherever you need it.
Provided it has enough shade to keep from frying, you should have some
success. I've also heard you can use a can of beer instead of
buttermilk. If you try them, report back so we know the best way to do
this.

Old 19-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Kitsune Miko

Martin,

Not all mosses are good candidates for bonsai lawns.
You need a short, close growing variety. I was taught
to harvest moss by my late sensei, Tosh Subruomaru.
You go out there with a trowel or spatula and scrape
up the surface of the moss, then you sweep this into a
dust pan, or whatever, and treat like moss seed.

It is better to not use moss on your trees, but good
to have some on the side you can use to dress up trees
for show. Trees with craggy bark that gets moss
growing up the trunk is difficult to correct. You
never really get all the moss off the trunk and still
keep all the knobby bits.

Kits

--- Martin wrote:

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had advice on mass
culitvation and harvesting of
mosses for eventual use in bonsai pots. I've noticed
moss seems to grow
great on concrete and brickwork in my back garden
and wonder if this could
be reproduced on a larger, non-seasonal dependant
scale? Perhaps even a
commercial scale? I'd love to be able to go into a
bonsai nursery and
purchase a slab of moss any time of the year for my
bonsai.

Tis mid Winter here in South Eastern Australia-
averaging 15-6 deg C (59-42 deg F),

Thanks - Martin

++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin
Bailey++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 19-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Tekmanx

About the fresh coconut water helping the plants to grow, can I use
that on any of my plants including cuttings and germinating seeds?
See, I live in the Bahamas.. I can get lots of fresh coconut water

Tekmanx
-Zone 25 (Florida/Bahamas)

Old 19-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Kev Bailey

But you aren't trying to root the moss so I'd guess that willow water
wouldn't do diddly. You need a nutirient that promotes the growth of moss,
especially its spores. Ideally a weakish fertiliser. This is why anything
from coconut milk to buttermilk to diluted manure WILL work. These have long
been used for ageing the stones in Victorian rock gardens (tho' I'm unsure
whether cocnut milk was used).

I'd say most important is selecting the right mosses, breaking it up and
then keeping it damp and protected. They are pretty much bomb-proof, so long
as you don't let them get dry or sunburned.

Kev Bailey

N Wales, UK, Zone 9

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Mark Hill - President, EESiFlo Inc. wrote:
I've read that soaking willow shoots in a bucket of water results in a good
rooting medium.
Something in willow shoots that's a natural rooting hormone.
Does anyone know if it's possible to mash a bunch of new willow branches in
a big bucket to create your own rooting hormone ?

I ask this because I'm creating a new garden in my back yard here in
Pennsylvania with HUGE boulders as accents.
Unfortunately, the boulders don't have that aged look, and I was considering
covering them with a thin layer of dirt and trying to force moss to grow on
them. As usual, I'm looking for a shortcut.

PS ..... I have an unlimited source of willow trees on a creek bank.

It's true about the willow bark, but since moss doesn't have
roots . . . . :-)

Anyway, just dig up a couple of handsfull of moss from the
woods somewhere, smear and mash it over the tops of the
rocks, then keep the rocks moist and fairly shady and you
will have moss.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Where
everything that doesn't move is mossy -- and even some
moving objects (tortoises).

Old 19-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Jim Lewis

Dogma Discharge wrote:
"Alan Walker" wrote in message

Buttermilk, which is more widely available than coconuts
in most parts of the world, is a good substitute for your moss
medium.
Alan Walker

Alan I can positively say that you are wrong! It has to be from a fresh
coconut. I've been doing this at home via Tissue Culture and it will only
work with *real* fresh coconut milk. Try it for yourself.

A gentle reminder: There often is more than one way to skin
a cat. (Unless the "Dogma" is a hint? :-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
use it with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County
Almanac

Old 19-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Tekmanx wrote:
About the fresh coconut water helping the plants to grow, can I use
that on any of my plants including cuttings and germinating seeds?
See, I live in the Bahamas.. I can get lots of fresh coconut water

Tekmanx
-Zone 25 (Florida/Bahamas)

Only if you want ants.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 19-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Nina

Let's separate the apples from the oranges here, folks. Buttermilk is
used for moss culture because it lowers the pH, which some but not all
mosses like. No special plant hormones are needed to get moss to grow;
moss likes to grow. You provide the conditions it needs if you supply
constant moisture and a little fertilizer. The magic ingredient in
this equation is: water.

Nina.

Old 19-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Tekmanx