Old 20-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Kev Bailey

Default [IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale

GOTO BENOSE asked:-
is this any moss with roots i do keep some irish moss around and every year
i trip up to a small area in the pot i think it help new rooted trees bond
better in the pots and after a season or two cut it dead the roots remain
and suply natural fertilizer for the tree. Is this ok?

Many Japanese trees have their surfaces covered with moss thickly after
repotting to maintain humidity around the roots. Peter Chan recommends
incorporating a proportion of sphagnum moss in the soil mix to help certain
species like maples recover from repotting or root rot. Afraid I don't know
what Irish Moss is but I can't see the small amout of any plant remaining in
the pot after you've cut its top off doing any harm.

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger 7.0 today!
http://messenger.msn.co.uk

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Pauline Muth

IF this is the same Irish Moss ( kinda star shaped) DO NOT use it on bonsai.
It forms a waterproof covering over the entire surface very quickly. To get
rid of it you need to repot the
tree and remove all soil.
Pauline

is this any moss with roots i do keep some irish moss around and every year
i trip up to a small area in the pot i think it help new rooted trees bond
better in the pots and after a season or two cut it dead the roots remain
and suply natural fertilizer for the tree. Is this ok?

Many Japanese trees have their surfaces covered with moss thickly after
repotting to maintain humidity around the roots. Peter Chan recommends
incorporating a proportion of sphagnum moss in the soil mix to help certain
species like maples recover from repotting or root rot. Afraid I don't know
what Irish Moss is but I can't see the small amout of any plant remaining in
the pot after you've cut its top off doing any harm.

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger 7.0 today!
http://messenger.msn.co.uk

****
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Michael Persiano

Kevin:

I would only add that the practitioner must consider his or her growing environment and watering patterns. For some, added "humidity around the roots" could become a problem.

With that said, I've had Kyoto Moss on some of my White Pines for many years, and the results are quite positive.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob