Old 09-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] phoenix graft and air layers

Hi Everybody

Three questions:
1 - What is a phoenix graft and how do you do it?

A phoenix graft (AKA tanuki) is grafting a live tree to a dead
tree to give the impression that the entire thing makes up a tree
with a LOT of dead wood. No way to explain the process via
e-mail and do it justice. A recent Bonsai magazine (I want to
say Bonsai Today, but maybe not -- I aparently didn't index the
article) had an article on doing one.

Some folks think they're a bit dishonest.

2 - Is there any reason why one shouldn't do two or more air

layers on a
single branch or trunk?

On a _single_ branch/trunk, the top layer is the one most likely
to take. You can do several on a single tree, but I'm not sure
I'd try consecutive layers on A branch of A trunk.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Colin Lewis' "new" book on Bonsai design has a great section on Phoenix
grafts - he goes through a nice explanation AND there are some good
pictures. If I remember correctly, the book's cover picture is the Phoenix
graft.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 10-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Neal Ross

It does. The book is The Art Of Bonsai Design. It is a great book, broken
down into species. There are sections on Elms, Junipers, Pines, and Larches.
There are lots of sidebar notes too on care for each species.

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA