GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] For Bradley Barlow (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/98975-%5Bibc%5D-bradley-barlow.html)

[email protected] 24-07-2005 02:56 AM

[IBC] For Bradley Barlow

I am answering this here, since I am not familiar with the ins & outs of the
gallery.
I enjoyed the series on buttonwood from Martinique. Doesn't anyone in Europe
or elsewhere in the Eastern Hemisphere grow them?
I was wondering looking at the photos....do the leaves always remain so
big, or are they already reduced in size.* Smaller leaves would be another
improvement for these lovely bonsai.

Buttonwood leaves are on the large size, & look better on a larger specimen.
However, they can be reduced somewhat by frequent pinching. You just have to
keep at it.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Alan Walker 24-07-2005 04:01 AM

Iris: It's not at all difficult to post on the gallery. Many
(possibly even most) people who post there do not use this forum.

It's easier to register for the gallery than it was to register
for the list, so go ahead and post back where you found Mr.
Barlow's thread.
Alan Walker

I am answering this here, since I am not familiar with the ins &
outs of the gallery. I enjoyed the series on buttonwood from
Martinique. Doesn't anyone in Europe or elsewhere in the Eastern
Hemisphere grow them?

I was wondering looking at the photos....do the leaves always
remain so big, or are they already reduced in size.* Smaller
leaves would be another improvement for these lovely bonsai.

Buttonwood leaves are on the large size, & look better on a
larger specimen. However, they can be reduced somewhat by
frequent pinching. You just have to keep at it.
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 24-07-2005 02:23 PM

In a message dated 7/23/2005 9:56:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Buttonwood leaves are on the large size, &look better on a larger specimen.

However, they can be reduced somewhat by frequent pinching. You just have to

keep at it.
Iris

Mike Cartrett of South Florida has an interesting presentation on
Buttonwood in which identified a number of different leaf form on Buttonwoods.
Some of the leaf forms reduce better than others. As I recall he said the rounder
the leaf the better it reduces. This has also been my experience with a
number of different Buttonwoods. I have seen only pictures but Suthin is said to
have a very small leafed Buttonwood that was exhibited recently in DC.
So if you are buying Buttonwoods for Bonsai look at the leaf shape.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast