Old 10-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] serissa japonica

If you would send me your real Email, I could send a lot of information
collected off the internet. WE do not like to crowd band space with
the same questions we have been asked many times.....

You can also check the archives... there are hundreds of emails from
members of the ILSC

Congratulations on your new acquistion.

Carl L. Rosner

Dmitry Akselrod wrote:

Hello everyone,

I returned today from the Philadelphia Flower Show with a major investment
and a work of art. I am a proud owner of what seems to be a 30 year old or
so Serissa Japonica in slight semi-cascade / slanting style.

The tree seems to be in great shape aside from needing some root-pruning and
a pot. The leaves are green and there are presently no signs of flowers.
Currently the tree is in a plastic pot with a good amount of healthy white
roots wrapped all around. The root mass does not seem to be too
overcrowded yet. The tree is about 15" tall and it lives in a 10" pot.
Upon watering the tree it took a good amount of time for the water to appear
in the drainage tray. Considering the soil seems to have very good
drainage, I would say that the roots have not complete forced the soil out
of the pot.

I know that Serissa can be temperamental. I realize that they don't like
environmental changes. They tend to lose their leaves on a whim. I will
take precaution not to over water the tree (seems to be a major killer of
the species). I plan to mist the tree in the morning for added humidity.
However I can't do anything about the change of scenery. I don't know if
the tree was an outdoor tree because I did not get a chance to talk to the
previous owner. I am assuming that since the tree came from Philadelphia,
and Philly is hardly a tropical city, it must have spend a good amount of
time indoors; and inside it will stay until I buy a house. I do have ample
amount of sunlight in the apartment. But I have read conflicting opinions
on the type of sunlight the Serissa desires. Most seem to suggest that it
likes medium and indirect sunlight. I will need to work on that
considering I have Southern and Western Exposure. What have been your
experiences? Does anyone residing in the Northeastern part of US have
experience with this tree?

Taking into consideration Serissa's dislike for being moved, would it be
safe to transplant and root-prune the tree in a few weeks? I can always
comb out the roots and put it in a larger pot until next spring or autumn,
if it is unsafe to move the tree. The last I want is to be the one to bring
about the demise of this beautiful tree. Does anyone have any suggestions
or advice? (This is my first Serissa.) Oh, and how bad is the "wretched"
smell produced by root-pruning?

Thank you in advance,

Dmitry

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Jim Lewis

I returned today from the Philadelphia Flower Show with a major

investment
and a work of art. I am a proud owner of what seems to be a 30

year old or
so Serissa Japonica in slight semi-cascade / slanting style.

It is Serissa foetida. S. japonica is an old, obsolete name.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Dmitry Akselrod

Thanx Carl. I don't want to trouble you. I will definitely check the
archives.

Thanx,

Dmitry

Dmitry Akselrod wrote:

[...]