Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Registered User

Smile Starting a veggie garden

Hello
I'm really keen to start a vegetable garden. I am pretty new to gardening and am not really sure where to start. I live in Scotland so can anyone tell me what vegetables I should start with?
Thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Dominic-Luc Webb

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Ally wrote:

Hello
I'm really keen to start a vegetable garden. I am pretty new to
gardening and am not really sure where to start. I live in Scotland so
can anyone tell me what vegetables I should start with?
Thanks

I am over in Sweden, near Uppsala, and having great success with
koriander. Potato often works as long as you do not continuously
grow it on same ground every year. Beans and peas are usually pretty
easy. My biggest upset has thus far been rabbits and deer eating up
my plants, particularly chick-peas. No idea why such high affinity
of this plant over the many other, but they really go for this plant
and I lost my entire crop. Potatoes and koriander have thus far had
no such problem.

Tomato seems to be somewhat more advanced, and many of the posts
to this list have to do with problems with this plant. On the other
hand, growability of seeds directly from the grocery store tomatoes
have generally been nearly 100%, so if you plant seeds in good
planting soil and maintain temperature around 80 C (greenhouse?) you
should get plants, although much can go wrong when flowering time
comes round.

On a more non-conformist note, Rumex acetosa and dandelion are both
weeds and are edible. I have no problem with rabbits or deer and no
particular soil or growing protocol. As weeds, they just grow on
their own. My only intervention has been to pull other weeds, but even
this is not necessary. I would urge other newbies to consider the
benefits of your local "weeds" as an excellent starter crop.

Dominic-Luc Webb

Old 02-08-2005, 04:02 PM
simy1

Kale, collard, chicory, peas, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, arugula, fava
beans,beets. Make a google search for "cool weather vegetables". Also
make a search for "preparing the home garden". Basically, you need to
know your pH, you need to break the ground if it is too hard, you need
some manure, or you need compost and some chemical fertilizer, and you
need a way to water the garden. For each vegetable, google "carrot
cultivation in the home garden". and you will find out that these are
best directly seeded in light soil and not given much fertilizer
(translation: forget carrots if you have heavy soil). Other veggies can
be sown in little pots indoors and transplanted later.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Dominic-Luc Webb

On 2 Aug 2005, simy1 wrote:

cultivation in the home garden". and you will find out that these are
best directly seeded in light soil and not given much fertilizer
(translation: forget carrots if you have heavy soil). Other veggies can
be sown in little pots indoors and transplanted later.

I am growing carrots on rather tight nearly 100% clay soil. The strain
I have is giving excellent carrots. I recognize this goes against the
conventional wisdom, and do not know what to make of it. It was definitely
success here where I expected failure.

Dominic