Old 11-08-2005, 02:13 AM
Lois

Default How can I kill white flies

For the third year in a row my tomatoes and cucumbers are being destroyed by
white flies. I've used Safer soap, Bayer Bug be Gone, and now Bonide Eight
Insect control. This last has helped but not completely rid the plants of
the bugs. It is expensive to use a lot. Does anyone know of anything I
could use next year before the first flies appear to prevent them from doing
any damage.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Dusty Bleher

Well, we used to use pieces of bright yellow plastic with a little oil
spread on 'em. Seemed to pick 'em up smartly. Was cheap. Long lasting.
Easy to clean/reset. And completely non-toxic

Dusty
San Jose

. ..

Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 AM
Dianna Visek

What kind of oil?

Thanks, Dianna

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:42:56 -0700, "Dusty Bleher"
wrote:

Well, we used to use pieces of bright yellow plastic with a little oil
spread on 'em. Seemed to pick 'em up smartly. Was cheap. Long lasting.
Easy to clean/reset. And completely non-toxic

Dusty
San Jose

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:46 AM
Dusty Bleher

Oh most any kind at all, Dianna (but not petroleum based oils--those would
be toxic). Vegetable oil. Olive oil. Canola oil. Safflower oil.
Sunflower oil. Walnut oil. Sesame oil. Peanut oil. Etc. Whatever you
have sittin' around in your cupboard...the cheaper the better.

The yellow attracts 'em, and the oil nails 'em to the plastic. Then every
couple of weeks we ran 'em through the dishwasher and re-oiled 'em fresh...
Works like a champ.

Dusty

Old 11-08-2005, 02:11 PM
The Cook

wrote:

Well, we used to use pieces of bright yellow plastic with a little oil
spread on 'em. Seemed to pick 'em up smartly. Was cheap. Long lasting.
Easy to clean/reset. And completely non-toxic

Dusty
San Jose

I've used old CD's, sprayed them yellow and added Tanglefoot. Worth
trying regular oils.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:13:17 GMT, "Lois"
wrote:

For the third year in a row my tomatoes and cucumbers are being destroyed by
white flies. I've used Safer soap, Bayer Bug be Gone, and now Bonide Eight
Insect control. This last has helped but not completely rid the plants of
the bugs. It is expensive to use a lot. Does anyone know of anything I
could use next year before the first flies appear to prevent them from doing
any damage.

When I moved into the house I am in now, the white fly population was
out of control. No, really, out of control. There were so many of the
little buggers, that when they massed on my screen door at night, they
cast a shadow. One of my neighbors walked through her yard to her car
with a dust mask on because she was tired of having them get into her
nose and mouth.

I convinced the neighbors on either side of me to stop using
pesticides for a while, and I started buying and releasing lady bugs.
After the first couple of releases, there was a perceptible drop in
the white fly plague. The next spring, I started early, and we had
even fewer white flies that summer. The third summer I didn't have to
release any lady bugs, and we didn't have but a normal white fly
population.

Now I occasionally see a plant with white fly, but it's nothing a bit
of soapy water in a spray bottle can't handle. My success with the
white fly is one reason I've looked so hard for a beneficial that will
help control the spit! thrip population.

Penelope
Old 11-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Rogerx

wrote:

[...]

Okay!, I don't have a big problem with white flies, but I do want to
make a comment about the Lady Bugs. If what I call Lady Bugs, and
what you call Lady Bugs are the same- -Be Aware. For the last 4 or 5
years, in the fall of the year we have an onslaught of these
critters. They are small orange with black dots on them (that are
shaped like and old VW automobile). In the fall, after the first cold
snap, they start looking for a place to winter. Not only do they fly
but they also crawl--and they get into every thing. Not just a few,
but thousands and thousands. You go to your auto, and even with the
window rolled up there will be hundreds inside. All of your outdoor
light fixtures will fill up with them. I live in a rural area (lots
of fields and woods) in town, they are not quite as bad, but there is
plenty to go around. GIVE ME THE WHITE FLY, I can spray them.

Sorry for the negative comment, no offense intended. Rogerx.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Katra

wrote:

[...]

Gather them up and SELL THEM on ebay!

You can make a fortune. ;-)

I'll pay you to send me a few hundred of them.

Please?

Cheers!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Dianna Visek

Those are the Asian lady beetles, not our usual lady bugs. And I
think they bite.

Regards, Dianna

Old 12-08-2005, 02:43 AM
Lois

Asian lady beetles are different from the usual lady bugs. We had a lot of
them several years ago. I had an awful time keeping them out of the house.
You're right they do bite.

Lois

Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:43:35 -0500, Katra
wrote:

I'll pay you to send me a few hundred of them.

Me Too!!

Please?

Purdy Please?

Penelope
Old 12-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:06:49 GMT, wrote:

On 8/11/05 12:43 PM, in article
, "Katra"
wrote:

Rogerx has bunches o' ladybugs he doesn't want

Sorry for the negative comment, no offense intended. Rogerx.

Gather them up and SELL THEM on ebay!

That is probably in violation of state and federal law. Note that
containers, In California at least, indicate the license number of where the
lady bugs were raised.

Oh, poo, poo, poo on you, too.

Rogerx is going to be too busy shipping them to me and Katra to sell
them on eBay.

Penelope

White 'flies' on my tomatoes ajr United Kingdom 15 20-10-2003 02:12 PM
white flies on tomatoes abe and sally Gardening 3 01-09-2003 01:02 PM
tomatoes and white flies kronos408 Edible Gardening 3 19-07-2003 07:42 PM
White flies Howie Gardening 1 26-06-2003 12:44 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM