GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lettuces eaten (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/101511-lettuces-eaten.html)

cookyfemale 18-08-2005 12:57 PM

Lettuces eaten

Hi to all.. I am a first time lettuce grower (growing them in patio pots), the type im trying to grow is an all year round growing type.. my problem is something keeps eating them one by one :( Is it slugs and if it is should i cover my lettuces at night time. all advice needed.
Thanx

Penelope Periwinkle 19-08-2005 08:32 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:57:56 +0000, cookyfemale
wrote:

Hi to all.. I am a first time lettuce grower (growing them in patio
pots), the type im trying to grow is an all year round growing type..
my problem is something keeps eating them one by one :( Is it slugs
and if it is should i cover my lettuces at night time. all advice
needed.

Slugs would be my first guess. Put out a couple of beer cups tonight
and see if you get any slugs. If it is slugs, covering the lettuce
probably won't do much good, in my experience the slugs live in the
bottom of the pots, or even deep in the lettuce leaves.

Penelope

John Savage 20-08-2005 01:22 AM

cookyfemale writes:
Hi to all.. I am a first time lettuce grower (growing them in patio
pots), the type im trying to grow is an all year round growing type..
my problem is something keeps eating them one by one :( Is it slugs
and if it is should i cover my lettuces at night time. all advice
needed.
Thanx

As likely as not it's a bird. Sparrows like young lettuce.

Jan Flora 20-08-2005 03:38 AM

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

cookyfemale writes:
Hi to all.. I am a first time lettuce grower (growing them in patio
pots), the type im trying to grow is an all year round growing type..
my problem is something keeps eating them one by one :( Is it slugs
and if it is should i cover my lettuces at night time. all advice
needed.
Thanx

As likely as not it's a bird. Sparrows like young lettuce.

I let my chickens have the run of the garden, after the plants are
big enough to survive the assault. The chickens eat weeds, bugs and
lettuce leaves. I plant enough lettuce to share with the birds.

Jan

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.