Old 25-08-2005, 10:11 PM
RiverMan

Default mice snacking on my plants, help!

I am a fisheries habitat biologist in the state of Oregon. We work with
private landowners interested in reestablishing native vegetation. To
do this, we lay all large weed barrier tarps in which we plant into.
The plants are growing unbelievably well, but the mice are killing a
good portion of them by girdling the stems near the ground.

I am wondering if anyone knows of an effective repellent that can be
used to stop this from happening. Please realize that I have literally
thousands of plants to protect so something very labor intensive is not
an option for us. Thank you for any suggestions!

RM

Old 26-08-2005, 02:45 AM
Puckdropper

"RiverMan" wrote in news:1125004289.108905.50980
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I am a fisheries habitat biologist in the state of Oregon. We work with
private landowners interested in reestablishing native vegetation. To
do this, we lay all large weed barrier tarps in which we plant into.
The plants are growing unbelievably well, but the mice are killing a
good portion of them by girdling the stems near the ground.

I am wondering if anyone knows of an effective repellent that can be
used to stop this from happening. Please realize that I have literally
thousands of plants to protect so something very labor intensive is not
an option for us. Thank you for any suggestions!

RM

For a mice/mole/rodent problem, I must recommend a good young cat. In
fact, for something as large as your area you may want a couple. Treat
the cats nice and shelter them, so they know they're home, and you'll
probably have your mouse problem disappear.

Never had a problem with rodents in my garden... Even helped the cat go
after a mole once.

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Old 26-08-2005, 03:36 AM
simy1

it is an excellent situation for the voles, having the food right into
their cover. If you can't get a bunch of snakes, who will go under the
tarp to get them, you should get human urine by the gallon. It is an
excellent repellent, though it works best to prevent colonization of a
virgin place. You should also dig where a dead plant is, find the
tunnel with your fingers, drop a piece of rat poison, and close.

Old 26-08-2005, 03:31 PM
~patches~

Puckdropper wrote:

[...]

We have voles and field mice. I can't say they've ever really bothered
the gardens but I have raised beds so maybe that's why. We had a couple
of mice in the house a few years ago. One of our neighbours was
bothered with mice on a continual basis so they got 3 young cats.
Problem solved
Old 26-08-2005, 04:35 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com,
"RiverMan" wrote:

I am a fisheries habitat biologist in the state of Oregon. We work with
private landowners interested in reestablishing native vegetation. To
do this, we lay all large weed barrier tarps in which we plant into.
The plants are growing unbelievably well, but the mice are killing a
good portion of them by girdling the stems near the ground.

I am wondering if anyone knows of an effective repellent that can be
used to stop this from happening. Please realize that I have literally
thousands of plants to protect so something very labor intensive is not
an option for us. Thank you for any suggestions!

RM

Moth balls......

and mouse poison bait around the periphery.

Or get a good barn cat. ;-)
--
Om.