Old 28-08-2005, 01:52 AM
Anna

Default Straw hats for gardening question

My husband has very light skin (red headed) and has had skin cancer removed
in the past. I was wondering if anyone on this site knows of a place to buy
a very wide brim hat, like a sombrero. I've searched the internet, but none
that we have found have brims wide enough to protect the sides of his face.
Catalog address or internet address if you know of any.
Any help will be appreciated.
Anna

Old 28-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Anna said:

My husband has very light skin (red headed) and has had skin cancer

removed
in the past. I was wondering if anyone on this site knows of a place to buy
a very wide brim hat, like a sombrero. I've searched the internet, but none
that we have found have brims wide enough to protect the sides of his face.
Catalog address or internet address if you know of any.
Any help will be appreciated.

I think they pretty much top out at 4 inch brims. You might want
to consider a cap with sun blocking drapes (Solumbra or Coolibar are
a couple of brand names I am slightly familiar with.)

I bought a wide brimmed gardening hat by Sloggerwear this spring.
Best gardening hat I've ever had, but only a 4" brim. I use SPF-50
sunscreen (with zinc oxide) *and* the hat.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 28-08-2005, 11:51 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Anna said:

My husband has very light skin (red headed) and has had skin cancer

removed
in the past. I was wondering if anyone on this site knows of a place to buy
a very wide brim hat, like a sombrero. I've searched the internet, but none
that we have found have brims wide enough to protect the sides of his face.
Catalog address or internet address if you know of any.
Any help will be appreciated.

I think they pretty much top out at 4 inch brims. You might want
to consider a cap with sun blocking drapes (Solumbra or Coolibar are
a couple of brand names I am slightly familiar with.)

I bought a wide brimmed gardening hat by Sloggerwear this spring.
Best gardening hat I've ever had, but only a 4" brim. I use SPF-50
sunscreen (with zinc oxide) *and* the hat.

Order a sombrero from Mexico. ;-)

They have much larger brims than 4 inches!
I'm considering getting one for myself next time I go down there. (I
live close to the border). I am very fair skinned and am not a sun
worshipper.

http://tinyurl.com/bks6p

I tried a regular google search but just turned up smaller brimmed
sombreros. IMHO one this size is far better! I'm probably going to bid
on it. It'd be cheaper than paying for gas for a trip to Mexico. G

OTOH one of the local mexican import shops might carry one.

Hmmmmmmmm....
--
Om.

Old 28-08-2005, 03:08 PM
R. M. Watkin

Hi All,
you may try to get a beekeepers hat and remove the net. I think the brim is
more than 4" . hope this is of some help to tou.

Richard M. Watkin.

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Anna said:

[...]

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack

Nicholson

Old 28-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Steve

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Anna said:

[...]

Wow, they sure went all out with the pictures for that auction! Look at
all the poses and costume changes just to sell that one item with a $17
starting bid! I looked at the seller's other auctions and looked at
another hat. Even more pictures! Interesting.

Steve

Old 28-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Katra

In article ,
Steve wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Anna said:

[...]

Yeah. ;-) The problem with doing that to your auctions is that only
broadband users can really see those! Anyone on dial-up is out of luck.

I did some web searches for the larger brimmed sombreros but got the
best results out of ebay.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 28-08-2005, 04:53 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Rick wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:51:37 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Anna said:

[...]

Almost all straw hats and straw sombreros have an SPF of 2 or so.
That's right-2 not the 50+ he needs (I'm a redhead). The uv goes
right through the holes in the straw hat, so they are basicallty
worthless. Get a straw hat lined with UV blocking cloth, or a solid
type of hat and use sunscreen UVA and B at SPF 40-50+. One good place
to find such protective gear is a good sports store and they also have
non greasy high SPF blocks that do not come off when you sweat.

-Rick

Where did you get that info.?
That makes no sense... A straw hat is going to block the majority of the
sunlight. The holes are not THAT big if it's cross-woven!
--
Om.

Old 28-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Ann

After Rick said:

Almost all straw hats and straw sombreros have an SPF of 2 or so.
That's right-2 not the 50+ he needs (I'm a redhead). The uv goes
right through the holes in the straw hat, so they are basicallty
worthless. Get a straw hat lined with UV blocking cloth, or a solid
type of hat and use sunscreen UVA and B at SPF 40-50+. One good place
to find such protective gear is a good sports store and they also have
non greasy high SPF blocks that do not come off when you sweat.

-Rick

OmManiPadmeOmelet expounded:
Where did you get that info.?
That makes no sense... A straw hat is going to block the majority of the
sunlight. The holes are not THAT big if it's cross-woven!

I agree, I've got several straw hats that are very tightly woven and a
minimal amount of sun would ever get through them.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 28-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Nicole H

www.solumbra.com
Great place to purchase clothes for those who can't be in the sun

Old 28-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Anna

"Nicole H" wrote in message
| www.solumbra.com
| Great place to purchase clothes for those who can't be in the sun
| "Anna" wrote in message
| My husband has very light skin (red headed) and has had skin cancer
| removed
| in the past. I was wondering if anyone on this site knows of a place to
| buy
| a very wide brim hat, like a sombrero. I've searched the internet, but
| none
| that we have found have brims wide enough to protect the sides of his
| face.
| Catalog address or internet address if you know of any.
| Any help will be appreciated.
| Anna
After doing some serious internet searching, I found this place. Kind of
spendy, but the hat looks good.
Thanks for all the hints and tips.
Anna
http://www.gottahavahat.com/adult/supersun.html

Old 29-08-2005, 05:32 PM
omi

"Anna" wrote in message
..
I was wondering if anyone on this site knows of a place to buy
a very wide brim hat ...

I got my 4" brim starw hat at Walmart. Mde in China, of course. Not very
well made (at $5.95 + 8.1 percent or the Gov) but they will usually last for
a year or so (in AZ)

Stetson makes wide brim cowboy straw hats. Available here in the West at
stores that cater to Clothing Store Cowboys. Pricy.

Olin

Old 30-08-2005, 06:22 AM
Nicole H

yeah it is. since i have lupus, i can deduct the clothes off my taxes. i
own several pieces. they are wonderful....

Old 30-08-2005, 07:57 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Rick wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:25:09 -0400, Ann wrote:

After Rick said:

Almost all straw hats and straw sombreros have an SPF of 2 or so.
That's right-2 not the 50+ he needs (I'm a redhead). The uv goes
right through the holes in the straw hat, so they are basicallty
worthless. Get a straw hat lined with UV blocking cloth, or a solid
type of hat and use sunscreen UVA and B at SPF 40-50+. One good place
to find such protective gear is a good sports store and they also have
non greasy high SPF blocks that do not come off when you sweat.

-Rick

OmManiPadmeOmelet expounded:
Where did you get that info.?
That makes no sense... A straw hat is going to block the majority of the
sunlight. The holes are not THAT big if it's cross-woven!

I agree, I've got several straw hats that are very tightly woven and a
minimal amount of sun would ever get through them.

sigh....
Straw Hats offer very little protection-even with the freaking liners.

from

http://www.vh.org/adult/patient/derm...tment/sun.html

Ok, I see the source that you got the info. from...

but all I know is is that I NEVER EVER get sunburned on my face if I'm
wearing a straw hat.

If I don't wear one, I get sunburned......
Even on my scalp.

Now what?
--
Om.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Nicole H

I don't know anything about straw hats but I know about those uv rays. The
uv rays can still cause damage even if you're not seeing a physical burn.
you probably have more pigment in your skin and can thus tolerate more uv
rays.
then there are the rays that are reflecting back at you. various surface
reflect rather than absorb.

I wear a broad spectrum sunscreen under my solumbra (spf 50) sport shirt and
on my face even with a wide brim hat on.

I react to indoor lighting at times. It's crazy.
happy gardening
nic

Old 02-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Bruce & Lois Nelson

interesting that the site would indicate that a straw hat is only 2. I
wear a straw hat, and use 45 on the back of my neck where the hat does not
protect. The hat protects my ears & forehead.

I was looking swim suits a while ago. A site that offered tan-thru suits
said that the suit was about SPF 5, and to get an even tan, the body parts
not in the suit needed to be coated with SPF 5.

Bruce

"Rick" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:57:53 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

After Rick said:

[...]

Well, I'd say SPF 2 or 3 or so must be enough for you (eg 3 hrs = 1 hr
of sun). Me- I get moon burns G and I envy those who have more
melanin. But seriously a burn is not the only indication of UV
damage. Skin cancer is pretty rampant these days, and one does not
need to burn to get CA.

Straw Bale Gardening Dick Adams[_2_] Edible Gardening 24 06-04-2012 08:18 PM
Barley straw question elaine Ponds 61 13-01-2011 02:17 PM
barley straw vs oats straw? G & K Meyer Ponds 5 13-05-2004 06:04 PM
Congrats rec.ponds. Amazing newsgroup. Hats off. Theo van Daele Ponds 31 07-05-2003 10:44 AM
Natural grass rehab / straw cover question RA1 Gardening 0 11-02-2003 04:25 PM