Old 12-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Ace

Default Peach tree question

I have this tree and I think it is a Redheaven, although I'm not for sure
that it is that strain. The tree is self pollinating. I have no other peach
trees. Every year I get a bumper crop of peaches on the tree. The problem I
have is that they are only golf ball size peaches. They are very tasty, but
are too small to fool with. Can any of you advise me as to what the
problem is? The tree is very healthy looking with no apparent diseases. Is
there any way that I can get bigger peaches? That you all for your help and
suggestions.

Old 12-03-2003, 10:56 PM
zxcvbob

Ace wrote:

I have this tree and I think it is a Redheaven, although I'm not for sure
that it is that strain. The tree is self pollinating. I have no other peach
trees. Every year I get a bumper crop of peaches on the tree. The problem I
have is that they are only golf ball size peaches. They are very tasty, but
are too small to fool with. Can any of you advise me as to what the
problem is? The tree is very healthy looking with no apparent diseases. Is
there any way that I can get bigger peaches? That you all for your help and
suggestions.

Pull about half the green peaches off the tree, so the ones remaining can
get bigger. Usually the tree does this for you, but maybe not enough in
your case.

Best regards,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/
Old 13-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Dwayne

Did you buy the tree and plant it? If not why do you think it is a red
haven?

I bought some property in the south once, and it came with 3 or 4 peach
trees. The people called them Indian peaches and they never got very big.
I tried watering them, fertilizing them, and so on, but they never changed.

I ended up having them cut down and replaces with red haven and reliance.
We got some good peaches off of those.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 13-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Ace

Hi,
Dwayne & Joe, Thanks for your responses.
I got the tree from Lowe's about 31/2 years ago.

Old 13-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Dwayne

Since you got it from Lowes, it is probably what they labeled it as. At
this point I would take a soil sample and have it tested. They can tell you
what it needs. It could be as simple as adding something to the soil.
Dwayne

Old 13-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Repeating Decimal

I live in Southern CA. I have one peach tree. It came with a label declaring
it as an August Pride. I doubt that it is because only once did I get a
peach from it as late as August.

It may not yield the best peach in the world, but I have yet to eat a better
one. It does not seem to require much chill and it does well here. If there
is a problem, it is that it grows rather erratically . I just cannot get
straight branches. It is difficult to shape. If I want any size to the
peaches, I have to thin mercilessly. I must remove at least 2/3 of the set
fruit about this time of the year. This does not reduce total weight of the
peaches all that much but makes bigger ones.

Bill

Peach question Steve B[_6_] Gardening 1 22-08-2011 10:52 PM
Peach twins/doubles thinning question Ohioguy Edible Gardening 0 07-05-2011 04:55 PM
Question about peach trees.. Ivan Gardening 6 23-07-2008 01:59 AM
Peach tree question rosemarie face Edible Gardening 6 09-05-2004 02:03 AM
Tallow Tree was Peach Tree & Crepe Murtle Questions God Bless Texas Texas 5 24-06-2003 06:32 PM