GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How do you get rid of moles without traps (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/10277-how-do-you-get-rid-moles-without-traps.html)

Setzler 15-03-2003 03:20 PM

How do you get rid of moles without traps

Moles do not eat vegetation! Voles do and squirrels and chipmunks will eat the
flower bulbs, except for daffodils, which are poisonous to animals.

susan

Genevieve Tharp wrote:

"Susan E Desjardins" wrote in message
We have moles in our lawn & garden and wonder if there is a way to
get rid of them without trapping & killing them.

Moles and voles can really dig up a yard bad and eat out flower bulbs. You
can try putting moth balls at the mouth of one of their tunnels running
along the top of the ground ... or just open up the tunnel and drop one in
ever so often down the line of the tunnel. Moth balls are good for
discouraging skunks, cats, and mosquitoes too.

Genevieve in Mississipppi

lois 16-03-2003 02:32 AM

How do you get rid of moles without traps

At an experimental garden I compared juicy fruit gum and chocolate
laxative to solve the mole problem. The chocolate laxative won hands
down. Use gloves [no human odor]; put into pieces and put in main runs
[usually along bldgs, walks]

bob 18-03-2003 03:32 PM

How do you get rid of moles without traps

"len" wrote in
:

FWIW, our dogs like to dig them up.

Bob
Zone 7

So do our Labs, that explains why they don't survive in the
backyard,( but
thats a hole story:). You know Labs don't necesarily kill what they
get.

One of our dogs is a lab mix... I have noticed he doesn't kill things. At
least not right away. The other dog is a shepard mix. He kills things.
Sometimes the lab eats things he catches to avoid loosing it to the
other.

Bob

Glenna Rose 18-03-2003 06:44 PM

writes:
We have moles in our lawn & garden and wonder if there is a way to
get rid of them without trapping & killing them. I know they eat grubs etc
in the soil and I have used products to rid the soil of grubs, but it
needs to be applied during the summer months. Has anyone had success
getting rid of them in the spring. Another question, do June bugs have
anything to do with grubs. I know they lay thousands of eggs and wonder
what they develop into. I have been told that the Japanese Beetles lay
the larvae for grubs, but I am not sure about that. Any help in this area
would be appreciated.

I'm passing this on only because I heard it yesterday; there may or may
not be something to it.

Speaker 1: Does anyone know how to keep moles out of the garden?

Speaker 2: My mother used to put beer bottles after they were emptied
upside down in the holes.

Speaker 3: Are they supposed to be upside down? My other would bury them
1/3 in the ground with the neck up. The wind would blow across them and
the moles would stay away.

Speaker 2: My mother always put them upside down. Apparently, they don't
like the smell of the beer.

Speaker 3: I don't know if it worked but we never had moles in the garden.

Hey, if it works, great. If not, well, we've had another perspective. :-)

Glenna