Old 14-03-2003, 03:44 AM

Default Favorite Magazine

Any recommendations on a gardening magazine that concentrates on
vegetable and other edible plants.

A friend gave me a subscription to OG, but I have not been too
impressed by it so far. Are there any other magazines out there?
Old 14-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Smythefarm

I stopped subsribing to Organic Gardening - the last few issues weren't that
interesting.

Mother Earth News is one of my favorite magazines. It gets a little heavy on
the save the environment/ build your own house from natural materials/raise
your own farm animals but usually has some articles on vegetables and herbs
that might be worth checking out. The April/May issue which I received 2 days
ago has an article on growing soybeans including a few recipes.

I'm more into herbs than anything else so my top three favorite magazines a
The Herb Quarterly - includes recipes in most issues

The Herb Companion - includes recipes in most issues.

Herbs for Health - has run articles on herbal teas - not just medicinal uses.

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
coming soon: www.butterflygypsy.com
Old 14-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:36:04 -0500, Gary Woods
wrote:

I'll second that, sort of. I was a Mother subscriber (Earth, not Jones;
that was my wife) eons ago, and recently returned. It is filled with what
I consider snake oil ads, which I expect for something alternative... but
good stuff too. I grew some edamame soybeans last summer because of them,
and let most of the mature for seed, so should have lots this year, which
makes vegetarian daughter very happy.
I also re-enlisted with OG after some years' absence. The jury's still
out, but I _think_ it's worth it.
My absolute favorite is "Greenprints," which isn't really about how-to at
all; it's about gardeners. Neat little mag; thank's Pat!

14 degrees on the porch; they're promising above freezing for the weekend.

10 here this morning. We're supposed to have 50s this
weekend.

Usenet is uncanny and this is one of its more uncanny days.
I'd never heard of 'Greenprints' before I read Gary's
message (the Pat he's thanking must be another Pat, not me).

I'd ordered a min-max thermometer and rain gauge from
Johnny's Selected Seeds, and about ten minutes after I read
the above posting, the mail-lady honked her horn (which
means we have a package so we run out to get it) and my
Johnny's order had arrived.

Guess what's in the order: an advertisement for
'Greenprints'.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/

Old 14-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:36:04 -0500, Gary Woods
wrote:
PS - the Johnny's Selected Seed order I mentioned in my
prior post also has an ad for a regional gardening magazine
which covers Zones 3-5 or 6-8 (New England/Upstate NY or
Mid-Atlantic). It's called 'People, Places, Plants'.

Mike McGrath (former 'Organic Gardening' editor) is on their
staff, as is Roger Swain (I think he's the guy who used to
be on the 'Victory Gardens' TV show). Evidently, they have
a TV show too.

Here's their website, for anyone interested:

http://www.ppplants.com

Pat
Old 14-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Tracy

Kitchen Garden from Great Britain is the only magazine devoted to growing
fruits and vegetables. The glossy monthly magazine includes growing tips
from readers, articles on growing techniques and new cultivars plus a
monthly feature on small-scale chicken rearing. Subscribe for a mere $73.00
dollars a year (www.kitchengarden.co.uk/) Subscriber Bonus: A free packet of
seeds with every issue!
But it's not nearly as good as the now ceased Kitchen Gardener from Taunton
Press.
-Tracy

Old 14-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:36:32 -0800, "Tracy"
wrote:

Kitchen Garden from Great Britain is the only magazine devoted to growing
fruits and vegetables.

No, it certainly isn't. There are several American
magazines devoted to growing fruits and vegetables. Some of
them have been mentioned in this thread.

Pat
Old 15-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Tracy said:

Kitchen Garden from Great Britain is the only magazine devoted to growing
fruits and vegetables. The glossy monthly magazine includes growing tips
from readers, articles on growing techniques and new cultivars plus a
monthly feature on small-scale chicken rearing. Subscribe for a mere $73.00
dollars a year (www.kitchengarden.co.uk/) Subscriber Bonus: A free packet of
seeds with every issue!

But it's not nearly as good as the now ceased Kitchen Gardener from Taunton

I miss that one, too. I was a charter subscriber.

When they folded they transferred the sub. to Fine Gardening, which I also
enjoy, though it only occasionally does edible gardening.

And my favorite ceased-publication magazine on (not strictly, but mostly) edibles
growing was National Gardening. Maybe I should start plowing through my
back issues. (I'm missing some of the early ones published as the tabloid-form
Gardens for All.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 15-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Setzler

I have my first issue of the new one, (Mid Atlantic) and it is pretty good, not
like the old OG's but ok, not as many articles on vegs and fruits as I would
like, but OG has gotten so bad, it leaves a big void.

susan

Old 15-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:21:47 -0500, Setzler
wrote:

I have my first issue of the new one, (Mid Atlantic) and it is pretty good, not
like the old OG's but ok, not as many articles on vegs and fruits as I would
like, but OG has gotten so bad, it leaves a big void.

I'm requesting that our library subscribe to it as well as
to 'Greenprints' (I can't afford magazine subscriptions at
the moment). The library probably will oblige.

There's a question as to WHICH edition of 'People, Places,
Plants' would be more appropriate for our northern PA (in
the mountains) location. We probably have more in common
with the Mid-Atlantic area (Longwood Gardens is in southern
PA, etc.), but our weather here is definitely more like New
England or upstate NY.

I'll suggest that they subscribe to both editions.

Pat
Old 15-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Tracy

Pat,
Please tell me the names of the other American magazines devoted to edible
plants, I am *very* interested to know their names. I thought I knew all the
gardening magazines out there.
-Tracy