Old 14-03-2003, 01:08 PM
John

Default No Buds On Plum Trees

I have three plum trees in my yard and two of them(a Methley and Santa Rosa)
don't have any buds and all and are putting out leaves.I have a purple leaf
plum that is loaded with buds and located about 30 fteet from the others.I
haven't experienced any problems with them in the last 3 years.Any idea why
this would happen?I'm stumped.....

Thanks

Old 14-03-2003, 03:56 PM
SugarChile

Did you experience severe drought last summer? The trees may have been to
stressed to set fruit buds. Fertilize one but not the other two? Prune
them differently, inadvertently pruning off the fruit spurs? Or, they may
be varieties that naturally fall into an alternate year bearing habit; I
know apples do this, not sure about plums. Some trees bear very heavily one
year, then little or not at all the next. There are nut trees that bear on
longer cycles--one theory is that the lean years diminish the squirrel
populations, so that when a heavy year comes, more nuts have a chance at
growing. The fix for this, in fruit trees, is to thin the young fruit in a
heavy year so it depletes the tree's resources less and balances out the
cycles.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 14-03-2003, 06:56 PM
John

Come to think of it,the purple leaf grew at a much faster rate than the
other two and it was a dry summer.Perhaps it is stress related.Thanks for
the reply.

John

ink.net...

"John" wrote in message
I have three plum trees in my yard and two of them(a Methley and Santa

Rosa)
don't have any buds and all and are putting out leaves.I have a purple

leaf
plum that is loaded with buds and located about 30 fteet from the

others.I
haven't experienced any problems with them in the last 3 years.Any idea

why
this would happen?I'm stumped.....

Thanks

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM
Why do chestnuts trees have sticky buds ? Mick United Kingdom 4 18-02-2004 10:40 PM
Why do chestnuts trees have sticky buds ? Mick United Kingdom 2 18-02-2004 10:33 PM