Old 10-09-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Using calcium carbonate to control acidity

I do a lot of hobby hydroponic growing. I have noticed acidity building up
in some of my pots. I attribute it to the preferential consuming of
potassium that leaves the nutrient solution more acid.

Today, I bought some marble chips. I placed a handful in several of my
nutrient containers. My expectation is that as the solution becomes more
acid, the marble will decompose giving of carbon dioxide and thereby
consuming some of the acid. I will report on whether this keeps the pH above
6.0.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of pH control?

Bill

Old 13-09-2005, 03:28 AM

wrote in message
I do a lot of hobby hydroponic growing. I have noticed acidity building up
in some of my pots. I attribute it to the preferential consuming of
potassium that leaves the nutrient solution more acid.

Today, I bought some marble chips. I placed a handful in several of my
nutrient containers. My expectation is that as the solution becomes more
acid, the marble will decompose giving of carbon dioxide and thereby
consuming some of the acid. I will report on whether this keeps the pH
above
6.0.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of pH control?

Bill

Although I have not had a long observation time, my pH is hovering close to
6.0.

When you say you are having trouble getting your pH down, are you talking
hydroponics or soil?

Bill

Old 13-09-2005, 05:38 AM
Dwayne

Soil. My blueberries died here and the blackberries werent sweet and had no
flavor. Blueberries require a pH of around 4.5 and we have 6.9 here. I was
told that the only thing that will grow in a pH above about 8.8 is weeds.

Dwayne

Old 13-09-2005, 07:52 AM

On 9/12/05 8:38 PM, in article ,
"Dwayne" wrote:

Soil. My blueberries died here and the blackberries werent sweet and had no
flavor. Blueberries require a pH of around 4.5 and we have 6.9 here. I was
told that the only thing that will grow in a pH above about 8.8 is weeds.

I am using the calcium carbonate (marble) for hydroponic pH control.

For your problem, you might want to consider using Gypsite. It is
combination of gypsum and sulfur. You can also try sulfur by itself. Also,
you can use ammonium sulfate or nitrate. That should acidify the soil
quickly. They are combinations of a weak base and strong acid.

Good luck

Bill