Old 10-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Ann

Default Butterbeans and Edamame

I've grown both butterbeans and edamames. I have no experience with
either - when are they ready to harvest? The butterbean plants are
turning yellow (although they're still upright and healthy looking),
the pods are plump and covered with fuzz. Any help would be
appreciated - and how do you preserve them, freezing? Thanx!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 29-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Guy Bradley

Dear Ann,

"Ann" wrote in message
I've grown both butterbeans and edamames. I have no experience with
either - when are they ready to harvest? The butterbean plants are
turning yellow (although they're still upright and healthy looking),
the pods are plump and covered with fuzz. Any help would be
appreciated - and how do you preserve them, freezing? Thanx!
--
Ann

First, butterbeans: I presume you are referring to lima beans. If
desired to eat fresh, they should have been picked already. Thus, I
infer you are trying for dry beans. In this case, pick when the pods
seem dry. I have learned from bitter experience that if you wait too
long, they will mold and become useless. Bring them inside and let
them dry in the pods for a while, maybe a month. Then break open the
pods and store in a cool, dry place.

For edamame, pick when the pods look full. If unsure, pick a few, boil
them up and have a try. So far I haven't been disappointed no matter
what the size. The only effect of picking them too small is reduced
yield. In my limited experience, three years growing these, yield
won't be a problem.

The recommendation I have been following for preserving edamame is to
parboil them in the pods for maybe five minutes, then freeze them,
still in the pods. To prepare, boil, still in the pods, for about 10
min., pop out of the pods and eat. You can treat them like lima beans,
put some butter on them, perhaps some herbs - I like lemon pepper.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6

Old 15-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Ann

"Guy Bradley" expounded:

First, butterbeans: I presume you are referring to lima beans

Boy, am I late getting back to this! Thank you for the info, I
believe it'll apply mostly to what I grew, but they weren't lima
beans, they were a variety of edamame/soybeans offered by Johnny's.
They're gone now, but they were delish! Thanx for all the info from
people who answered my query.

--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

edamame soybeans songbird[_2_] Edible Gardening 1 09-10-2012 04:37 PM
edamame seed Wes Dukes North Carolina 1 07-02-2009 03:36 AM
butterbeans rachael simpson Edible Gardening 6 28-07-2007 03:59 PM
Birds and the Bees and Koi and the... Benign Vanilla Ponds 23 19-04-2004 03:06 PM
Birds and the Bees and Koi and the... Benign Vanilla Ponds 12 17-04-2004 08:05 PM