Old 13-09-2005, 01:29 AM
do not spam

Default Caterpillars Eating My Grapevines

I have several grapevines in backyard here in Las Vegas. In the last
week or so I have noticed that the leaves on them are are being eating
very voraciously by caterpillars. They are yellow with black bands.
The link below has a photograph of one of them I took today. Any
recommendations on what to stop them with?

http://members.cox.net/jerry-n-vegas/bug.htm
Old 13-09-2005, 05:19 AM
Dwayne

Wal-Mart has a "Vegetable Spray" that I use on my garden. It says it is
safe to use up to 48 hours before harvesting what you have grown. You might
try that.

Dwayne

Old 14-09-2005, 01:05 AM
omi

"do not spam" "do not wrote in message
I have several grapevines in backyard here in Las Vegas. In the last week
or so I have noticed that the leaves on them are are being eating very
voraciously by caterpillars. They are yellow with black bands. The link
below has a photograph of one of them I took today. Any recommendations on
what to stop them with?

http://members.cox.net/jerry-n-vegas/bug.htm

Sounds like the Western Grape Leaf Skeletonizer. The adult phase is a small
dark blue moth which resembles a wasp with feather like antennas. The
caterpillars are yellow, and blue striped that feed side by side eating the
leaves leaving only the veins. After manually picking off and destroying
the caterpillars and any eggs, the recommended control is a Bt spray. Do a
web search - there is a lot of info on this.

Olin

Old 14-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:29:20 -0700, "do not spam" "do not
wrote:

I have several grapevines in backyard here in Las Vegas. In the last
week or so I have noticed that the leaves on them are are being eating
very voraciously by caterpillars. They are yellow with black bands.
The link below has a photograph of one of them I took today. Any
recommendations on what to stop them with?

http://members.cox.net/jerry-n-vegas/bug.htm

Are you sure you want to stop them? They might be some really
neat butterfly. I don't know enough about caterpillars in your
area to venture a guess at what they are, but you might take one
to your county extension agent and get it identified.

If you're set on stopping them, most any insecticide will do it.
Bt (_ Bacillus thuringiensis_) is a bacteria that kills
caterpillars.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05556.html

Spinoza sprays, made from _Saccharopolyspora spinosa_ are
effective, too.
http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mbcn/rev203.html%20

Or, you could just hand pick 'em and drop them a jar of soapy
water, but I'm guessing you wanted something less labor
intensive.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"
Old 14-09-2005, 02:14 PM
do not spam

omi wrote:
"do not spam" "do not wrote in message

I have several grapevines in backyard here in Las Vegas. In the last week
or so I have noticed that the leaves on them are are being eating very
voraciously by caterpillars. They are yellow with black bands. The link
below has a photograph of one of them I took today. Any recommendations on
what to stop them with?

http://members.cox.net/jerry-n-vegas/bug.htm

Sounds like the Western Grape Leaf Skeletonizer. The adult phase is a small
dark blue moth which resembles a wasp with feather like antennas. The
caterpillars are yellow, and blue striped that feed side by side eating the
leaves leaving only the veins. After manually picking off and destroying
the caterpillars and any eggs, the recommended control is a Bt spray. Do a
web search - there is a lot of info on this.

Olin

Thanks Olin. Got a place to start my research now.