Old 17-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Schmuck

Default Rocoto Seeds

I've planted seeds from seven varities of chiles (yes.. from the pods,
no.. I don't know what they've been crossed with.. yes, I am aware I
will probably get mongrel chiles!

The rocoto seeds, besides being black, looked different from the other
chile seeds, larger with a twist. I have since been given a rocoto
from a different source and the seeds are exactly the same as
"regular" chile seeds, only black. I am now wondering which one of
these is normal for rocotos.

The two theories I have:

1) The first chile is normal. The second chile is a cross breed, hence
the seeds have the colour of rocoto but the form of the unknown
father.

2) The second chile is normal. The seeds from the first chile were in
some form of "separation" phase.. ie what I saw as a big seed with a
twist were actually two seeds still joined. "Siamese seeds" if you
excuse the politically incorrect reference.

Any ideas most welcome, especially over the durability and fertility
of both types.

Thanks

Matt