GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Fall / Winter Vegetables in Southern California (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/108445-growing-fall-winter-vegetables-southern-california.html)

[email protected] 25-10-2005 04:41 PM

Growing Fall / Winter Vegetables in Southern California

Are there any good vegetables I can grow in southern California in the
fall and winter? I'd like vegetables that are high in nutrients and
anti-oxidants.

simy1 25-10-2005 09:07 PM

Growing Fall / Winter Vegetables in Southern California

if you google it, you will find all you need.

Nicole H 26-10-2005 05:25 AM

Growing Fall / Winter Vegetables in Southern California

Any cool weather crop......
home vegetable gardening- all the info you need
http://vric.ucdavis.edu/selectnewtopic.garden.htm

Vegetable Research & Info Center from UC Davis
http://vric.ucdavis.edu/usesites/ressite.htm

Another UC Davis site
http://vric.ucdavis.edu/veginfo/veginfor.htm

Site for free printable info from UC Davis (you can also buy books and publications)
http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/InOrder/Shop/Shop.asp

also, check with your county's cooperative extension (every county has one)
If you plan to really get into gardening, buy the
California Master Gardener Handbook (it's great!)

usual suspect 26-10-2005 05:38 PM

wrote:
Are there any good vegetables I can grow in southern California in the
fall and winter? I'd like vegetables that are high in nutrients and
anti-oxidants.

Just about anything will grow in SoCal during the fall and winter.
Nearly all fresh produce has nutrients and anti-oxidants.

Helen Qian 26-10-2005 05:43 PM

On 2005-10-25 08:41:01 -0700, said:

Are there any good vegetables I can grow in southern California in the
fall and winter? I'd like vegetables that are high in nutrients and
anti-oxidants.

Lettuce, Swiss chard, spinach, Asian greens, cabbage, broccoli, peas,
cool season tomatoes... The list goes on. Any cool weather vegies
(include most of the leafy vegies) are only happy here fall through
early spring.

Helen

aem 26-10-2005 10:08 PM

On 2005-10-25 08:41:01 -0700, said:

Are there any good vegetables I can grow in southern California in the
fall and winter? I'd like vegetables that are high in nutrients and
anti-oxidants.

Lettuce, Swiss chard, spinach, Asian greens, cabbage, broccoli, peas,
cool season tomatoes... The list goes on. Any cool weather vegies
(include most of the leafy vegies) are only happy here fall through
early spring.

Good list. Also, carrots, beets, snowpeas, potatoes, onions, shallots,
and many herbs.

13-11-2005 08:00 AM

Growing Fall / Winter Vegetables in Southern California

In article ,
usual suspect wrote:

Just about anything will grow in SoCal during the fall and winter.

Not if it needs long days.

MikeTaylor 21-10-2010 05:20 PM

I know this is an old thread, but here are a couple of specific links that help answer this question, what and when to plant in Southern California.

Here is a list of vegetable varieties that have been tested in Southern California.

This page lists when to plant veggies in California. All the 'cool' season veggies are appropriate for fall / winter plantings.