Old 26-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Mozie's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Default Catnip & Cats!

Hi All

I have a kitten who absolutely loves catnip so I was thinking of growing it in my garden. What I need to know is, will it attract all the cats in our area?

Also, I buy the dried out catnip from the vet, but do cats like it fresh out of the garden?

Thanks
Mozie
Old 26-10-2005, 10:02 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Mozie wrote:

Hi All

I have a kitten who absolutely loves catnip so I was thinking of
growing it in my garden. What I need to know is, will it attract all
the cats in our area?

My catnip patch does not, but I have a fenced yard. Some kitties come
into the yard anyway but they've never bothered the catnip patch.

Also, I buy the dried out catnip from the vet, but do cats like it
fresh out of the garden?

Mine sure do! :-)
They will eat a fresh, bruised leaf right out of my hand!

And this way I know for sure it's organic......

Thanks
Moziee

Welcome!
Catnip is also known as "cat mint" and is in the mint family. It's VERY
easy to grow and spreads nicely. I grow it with my asparagus every year.
It is also good to brew as a cough medication but be careful. Brew it
too strong and you will get buzzed. Catnip can make humans "high" too!
lol

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 26-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Gary Woods

Mozie wrote:

I have a kitten who absolutely loves catnip so I was thinking of
growing it in my garden. What I need to know is, will it attract all
the cats in our area?

Yes. They will likely destroy it, especially if you have a big stoner
tomcat within range.

Also, I buy the dried out catnip from the vet, but do cats like it
fresh out of the garden?

Oh my goodness yes...
When I grow it, I use a hanging planter...

Old 26-10-2005, 08:47 PM
J. Moede

Yes and yes! The neighborhood cats will find your catnip and chew it down
to the roots. You can try growing it in a hanging basket. It's not the
most attractive plant in the world and it doesn't always survive the
winter but your kitty might like it even better than dried.

Old 27-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Puckdropper

Mozie wrote in
:

Hi All

I have a kitten who absolutely loves catnip so I was thinking of
growing it in my garden. What I need to know is, will it attract all
the cats in our area?

Depends on your cats... If they chase them away, the other cats won't
come back after a while.

We had catnip in a container of water (I never did put it in the ground)
and the bees just loved that area. At any given time on any given day,
there'd be 4-5 of them enjoying themselves. I don't know if it was the
cat nip, water, or both, but they didn't bother anyone/anything.

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:33 AM
chula

We have cats around the neighborhood and none of them have shown any
interest in getting into my 'nip patch. Of course, 'nip on affects a
percentage of cats, not all of them. If they don't have the 'nip gene,
they could care less about the stuff.

My two kitties perfer it dried over fresh, for some reason. The best
thing to do is take about three "sprigs", heat up the oven and then
throw them in. That is how I dry it for them. The 'nip scent goes all
over the house - strong - and the cats just go bonkers. It's quite
funny to watch.

You could always plant it in a container and bring it in with you at
night (locked up in a kitty-free room), to avoid any neighborhood kitty
attacks.

chula

Old 01-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Mozie's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chula
We have cats around the neighborhood and none of them have shown any
interest in getting into my 'nip patch. Of course, 'nip on affects a
percentage of cats, not all of them. If they don't have the 'nip gene,
they could care less about the stuff.

My two kitties perfer it dried over fresh, for some reason. The best
thing to do is take about three "sprigs", heat up the oven and then
throw them in. That is how I dry it for them. The 'nip scent goes all
over the house - strong - and the cats just go bonkers. It's quite
funny to watch.

You could always plant it in a container and bring it in with you at
night (locked up in a kitty-free room), to avoid any neighborhood kitty
attacks.

chula
Thanks Chula. Am I right in saying CatNip is almost like a "drug" to cats? But it's not BAD for them is it?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:27 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Mozie wrote:

chula Wrote:
[...]

I've read a lot of the research in cat magazines as that question is
asked a lot, and the conclusions is that no, it does not hurt the
kitties. ;-)
--
Om.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:48 AM
Tig

Cats are great, but lets not idolise them!

Old 02-11-2005, 03:09 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Tig" wrote:

Cats are great, but lets not idolise them!

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as Gods.
They have never forgotten this..."

-- Anon

And more cat quotes from my "cat humor" files:

To preserve, Protect, Perpetuate and Promote the Traditional Cat.

"Managing senior programmers is like herding cats." - Dave Platt

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will
****
on your computer." - Bruce Graham

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." - Unknown

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never
forgotten this." - Heinlien

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled
through
snow." - Jeff Valdez

"In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats." - English proverb

"As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat." - Ellen Perry Berkeley

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway

"Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you
later." - Mary Bly

"Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many
ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia."
- Joseph Wood Krutch

"People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life." -
Faith
Resnick

"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all
owned by
cats." - Asimov

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is
infinitely superior." - Hippolyte Taine

"No heaven will not ever Heaven be; Unless my cats are there to welcome
me."
- Unknown

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and
cats."
-
Albert Schweitzer

"The cat has too much spirit to have no heart." - Ernest Menaul

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God."

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Colette

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and
they
have many other fine qualities as well." - Missy Dizick

"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange
cats." - Colonial American proverb

"Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask
for
what you want." -Joseph Wood Krutch

"I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic"

"My husband said it was him or the cat ... I miss him sometimes."
--
Om.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Busselton WA
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozie
Hi All

I have a kitten who absolutely loves catnip so I was thinking of growing it in my garden. What I need to know is, will it attract all the cats in our area?

Also, I buy the dried out catnip from the vet, but do cats like it fresh out of the garden?

Thanks
Mozie
Hi moz. Look in my experience cats are pretty disinterested in catnip but cats and certain other animals (sheep) are mad about cat thyme. teucrium is a very pretty little rockery plant and I think it's because of its medicinal qualities (worming) that they go for it. When ive grown it commercially i couldn't work out at first why it wasn't thrivng then I noticed the cat eating it :-)
Old 03-11-2005, 01:06 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
godwin wrote:

Mozie Wrote:
Hi All

I have a kitten who absolutely loves catnip so I was thinking of
growing it in my garden. What I need to know is, will it attract all
the cats in our area?

Also, I buy the dried out catnip from the vet, but do cats like it
fresh out of the garden?

Thanks
Mozie

Hi moz. Look in my experience cats are pretty disinterested in catnip
but cats and certain other animals (sheep) are mad about cat thyme.
teucrium is a very pretty little rockery plant and I think it's because
of its medicinal qualities (worming) that they go for it. When ive grown
it commercially i couldn't work out at first why it wasn't thrivng then
I noticed the cat eating it :-)

Cats go bonkers for Valerian root too!
--
Om.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Ann

OmManiPadmeOmelet expounded:

Cats go bonkers for Valerian root too!

I've got catnip in my garden, they don't pay any attention to it. I
had valerian out there, and they rolled on it until it was flattened.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 04-11-2005, 01:48 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Ann wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet expounded:

Cats go bonkers for Valerian root too!

I've got catnip in my garden, they don't pay any attention to it. I
had valerian out there, and they rolled on it until it was flattened.

lol I had some dried in a plastic container for tea.
They found it and rolled the container all over the room trying to get
to it!
--
Om.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Mozie wrote:

Hi All

I have a kitten who absolutely loves catnip so I was thinking of
growing it in my garden. What I need to know is, will it attract all
the cats in our area?

Also, I buy the dried out catnip from the vet, but do cats like it
fresh out of the garden?

Cats are like people. No two are alike. I've grown catnip for at
least 10 years. I let it seed itself & move plants around to an open
spot in the flower beds.

We have strays wander through, but I've never seen them pay any
attention to the garden plants. One of our cats used to wait until
the plants were about 6 inches high, then eat the plant down to the
roots. While she was with us we had to cage a plant to get it to
full size.

Our last cat was only interested in commercial dried catnip. She
paid no attention to our homegrown whether it was fresh or dried.

Jim

Cats and Catnip Ol' Duffer Gardening 11 14-07-2004 03:03 AM
trouble with catnip five of four Plant Science 5 17-09-2003 03:53 AM
Catnip Alternative Janice United Kingdom 7 23-06-2003 08:20 AM
growing catnip indoors Jessica Gardening 4 16-06-2003 09:32 PM
Introducing "CATNIP AND KEROSENE GRASS" Evar Grieg Gardening 0 04-03-2003 01:27 AM