Old 18-03-2003, 01:08 PM
NS9G

Default Nasturtiums

I think I spelled it right. Anyhow, I have become attracted to them in the
past few years but not having much luck with them and can find little
information on them. In your experience, do they do better in full sun, part
shade or shade? Anybody have recommendations for varieties to plant in
Southern Indiana?

Bob

Old 18-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Minteeleaf

NS9G wrote:

I think I spelled it right. Anyhow, I have become attracted to them in the
past few years but not having much luck with them and can find little
information on them. In your experience, do they do better in full sun, part
shade or shade? Anybody have recommendations for varieties to plant in
Southern Indiana?

Bob

I'm not in southern Indiana, but here's what I do about
nasturtiums. I've planted them here in partial shade &
watered them daily when it's hot. They do well in poor soils.
They don't like their feet wet.

One experience I had: I had 2 packets of nasturtium seeds
that were several years old. Decided to plant them, if they
came up, good, if not, oh well. Planted them very late, the
end of June. They were a climbing variety that goes to 6' tall.
To my astonishment they were up in 4 days & climbed as much as
they could & bloomed their hearts out, with huge leaves & flowers
a good 6" across. They went on until a really hard frost in Nov,
gorgeous colors & leaves & huge sized. I had a 22 foot long wall
over half-covered with them. What a gorgeous display it was.

Minteeleaf
Old 18-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:23:06 -0500, Minteeleaf
wrote:

One experience I had: I had 2 packets of nasturtium seeds
that were several years old. Decided to plant them, if they
came up, good, if not, oh well. Planted them very late, the
end of June. They were a climbing variety that goes to 6' tall.
To my astonishment they were up in 4 days & climbed as much as
they could & bloomed their hearts out, with huge leaves & flowers
a good 6" across. They went on until a really hard frost in Nov,
gorgeous colors & leaves & huge sized. I had a 22 foot long wall
over half-covered with them. What a gorgeous display it was.

Wow. I wish you hadn't said this... now I simply must have
nasturtiums this year! g

Edible - the flowers are edible, and make a very pretty
garnish for salads.

I didn't buy nasturtium seeds, but the local Agway will
probably have them.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
Old 24-03-2003, 03:44 PM
LSmythedesigns

I have nasturtiums growing in full sun in my zone 10 south Florida garden.
We've been having a major heat wave this past month but it's only 76 so far
today - a great change from last weeks high 80's (one day it even got up to 90
- UGH!!!)

I won't be able to grow nasturtiums in full sun during the summer down here so
I'll probably try a patch in partial shade. Also, our summers are extremely wet
and humid so I have to watch out for root rot.

I use both the leaves and flowers in salads and even manage to get my husband
to eat them! You can also use the green (unripe) seeds - soak them in salt
water for 24 hours then store them in a flavored vinegar in the fridge. The
green seeds are supposed to be like a caper substitute.

I haven't tried this yet. My nasturtiums have tons of flowers right now, maybe
I'll let a few develop seeds instead of dead heading them all. Has anyone out
there tried eating/using the green seeds in this method?

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
www.butterflygypsy.com
Old 26-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Jan

You can also use the green (unripe) seeds - soak them in
salt
water for 24 hours then store them in a flavored vinegar in the fridge. The
green seeds are supposed to be like a caper substitute.

I haven't tried this yet. My nasturtiums have tons of flowers right now,
maybe
I'll let a few develop seeds instead of dead heading them all. Has anyone
out
there tried eating/using the green seeds in this method?

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
www.butterflygypsy.com

Yes I have & they are very like capers (just a bit bigger than my usual
capers) But don't eat too many as like capers they can make your skin
spotty! (old Italian wives tale I believe).
Mine come out each year in October and go through until we get a frost
Dec/Jan and are rampant taking over about six foot from only one stem.
Love eating the flowers as well.
Regards
--
Jan - N. London

Old 30-03-2003, 08:56 AM
HPBudlong

Nasturtiums prefer poor soil; they will bloom better with poor soil.
Helen