GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Covering Strawberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/109157-covering-strawberries.html)

sherwindu 18-11-2005 04:38 AM

Covering Strawberries

Should strawberries be covered with say mulch for the winter? It is rather cold here
in the midwest, but the strawberries still have green leaves. I covered them one year
with straw, but I felt it did more harm than good.

Lynn 18-11-2005 01:13 PM

Covering Strawberries

Yes cover them but make sure the ground is frozen first. if not mice and
moles move in and eat all winter. I usually wait till the end of december
for this sort of stuff

--
:) Lynn

OmManiPadmeOmelet 18-11-2005 02:45 PM

Covering Strawberries

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

Should strawberries be covered with say mulch for the winter? It is rather
cold here
in the midwest, but the strawberries still have green leaves. I covered them
one year
with straw, but I felt it did more harm than good.

Straw tends to mold and rot... Might try old sheets, leaf mulch
generally has been pretty harmless to any of my perennials plants.
--
Om.

TQ 19-11-2005 03:15 AM

Covering Strawberries

I like the idea of waiting until the ground freezes before mulching b/c the
benefit of mulching strawberries in colder climes comes from preventing the
heaving caused by freeze-thaw cycles that dry out roots and often kill
plants.