GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Its getting pretty cold..Cabbage Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/109460-its-getting-pretty-cold-cabbage-question.html)

Farmer Joe 30-11-2005 01:43 AM

Its getting pretty cold..Cabbage Question

Hi: I live on the edge oof 5-6...St Louis area. I've got my
brussel sprouts inside a little hoop house plastic wrap deal and Its
about 32 F right now. I've got 12 cabbages..6 market prize and 6
red and they seem to like the cold. It got down to 18 2 weeks ago and
they seem fine. How much cold before they will start to complain???
Thanks.. Joe MC

simy1 30-11-2005 02:30 AM

Its getting pretty cold..Cabbage Question

so far so good. My collards have taken 11F after which I covered them
(3 days ago). A freeze makes them better. If you think it might get
below 10 and windy, you might pull them with some roots and plant them
in moist sand in an unheated basement. Once the cold weather comes,
they remain of good eating quality for a long time.

Steve 30-11-2005 05:15 AM

Farmer Joe wrote:
Hi: I live on the edge oof 5-6...St Louis area. I've got my
brussel sprouts inside a little hoop house plastic wrap deal and Its
about 32 F right now. I've got 12 cabbages..6 market prize and 6
red and they seem to like the cold. It got down to 18 2 weeks ago and
they seem fine. How much cold before they will start to complain???
Thanks.. Joe MC

If it has been down to 18, it's about time to bring in that cabbage.
Much colder than that and the outer leaves will start to show damage and
may have to be removed so they don't rot. Cabbage tends to keep longer
if the outer wrapper leaves are in good condition.
The brussel sprouts can stay out a while longer.

Steve