Old 03-12-2005, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Default Hoop tunnels.

Does anyone here use these to grow things in the winter?

Old 03-12-2005, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

yes.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GA Pinhead

Sure, it just depends where here is for you and what you want to grow.

John!

Old 03-12-2005, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Here where average temps range from 20F night to 50F day.

I want to grow anything edible. Tried radishes without cover but
freezing night temperature got them.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GA Pinhead

Collards, spinach, lettuce, mustard greens, cilantro, kale

John!

Old 03-12-2005, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

It is late to start regular winter veggies. I have radicchio, kale, bok
choi and collards, all started between June and August. The temperature
has not been above freezing in 4 days here, but of course it is above
in the hoophouses. Today I harvested a bucket of assorted greens, all
unfrozen.

If you put a hoophouse on the garden now, you would be better off
starting lettuce, arugula or radishes. Spring things that sprout even
in cold soil.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gonzo

Eliot Coleman is a big proponent of hoop houses - he says they shift
you 2 zones south.

My experience in zone 5 bears this out. Cool weather crops should be
planted late in the season, but not too late. They should get close to
mature before your really cold weather hits. I had radish, chinese
cabbage, lettuce, beets, onions and 1 pea plant before we got nailed
with sub-zero temps. Now I have to wait until late feb/early march to
get things going again.

In general, daytime 30-40 degrees can produce temps in the hoophouse
50-70, depending on sunlight of course