GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broad Beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/109817-broad-beans.html)

Mozie 12-12-2005 05:35 AM

Broad Beans

I'm growing broad beans in my garden and want to know if one can eat the pod or just the beans? Thanks

simy1 13-12-2005 11:01 PM

Broad Beans

just the beans. Young if you want them to taste like peas, the longer
you wait and the more they will taste like beans that should go in a
hearty stew with sausage (starchy, stronger tasting).

tel 14-12-2005 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozie
I'm growing broad beans in my garden and want to know if one can eat the pod or just the beans? Thanks

I sometimes pick the beanpods when small & eat the lot.
And dont forget you can eat the tops of the plant that you pick of to stop the blackfly

John Savage 15-12-2005 09:55 PM

Broad Beans

Mozie writes:
I'm growing broad beans in my garden and want to know if one can eat the
pod or just the beans? Thanks

You can eat the lot! But pick them young, when about double the diameter
of an ordinary string bean if you are going to cook pod and all. If you
let them grow to full size the pod is far too tough. You DO NEED TO string
BOTH edges of the pod before you cook them even when you harvest young or
you'll be chewing a mouthful of string at the dinner table. The plants
will produce more beans if you thin the crop out by picking some young
beans off it, too. Go for it! Young broad bean pods are delicious. Cook
them whole, for just a few minutes.

The enemy of broad beans is windy weather. Should the tops fold over just
let them be, don't try to bend them back up! The bent plants will manage
just fine. Much better if you can protect them against a paling fence or
something, though, so they aren't blown over in the first place.