Old 01-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK
Default brambles...training ?

Are you able to train brambles onto a trellis?

I have moved into a house with loads of bramles against a fence, (at the bottom) and as I have children (one of my own and 2 or more fostered) I am not keen on the idea of a prickly garden, however we go bramble picking each autumn, so I'm wondering about keeping them, but making them safe.

Any idea's gratefully received.
Thanks,
__________________
My newly acquired garden is a work in progress... probably forever!

Hugs, Jane
Old 01-01-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Purple Hugs wrote:

Are you able to train brambles onto a trellis?

I've trained them on to trees so I don't see why not. :-)

I have moved into a house with loads of bramles against a fence, (at
the bottom) and as I have children (one of my own and 2 or more
fostered) I am not keen on the idea of a prickly garden, however we go
bramble picking each autumn, so I'm wondering about keeping them, but
making them safe.

Give it a shot.
You can always kill them later...
Personally, I like brambles.

Did not know they were edible??????????

--
Om.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK

Thanks, That's a good idea to train up tree's too! Although my tree's in the garden are too little to be of any use I expect. I'll have a go at training them though.
You didn't know they were edible? The fruit? mmm... are we talking same thing here ?
Blackberries / brambles same thing to me, have I got it wrong?

Thanks again.
__________________

Old 02-01-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Purple Hugs wrote:

Thanks, That's a good idea to train up tree's too! Although my
tree's in the garden are too little to be of any use I expect. I'll
have a go at training them though.
You didn't know they were edible? The fruit? mmm... are we talking same
thing here ?
Blackberries / brambles same thing to me, have I got it wrong?

Thanks again.

No, I did not know you were talking about Blackberries!
Brambles here in Texas are a type of Liana. Not related.

I have thornless blackberries here that I planted and I tie them to
trellis to control them. Works fine!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Purple Hugs wrote:

Blackberries / brambles same thing to me, have I got it wrong?

No, I did not know you were talking about Blackberries!
Brambles here in Texas are a type of Liana. Not related.

Here's what www.dictionary.com has to say about brambles:

bram·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brmbl) n.
1) A prickly shrub of the genus Rubus, including the blackberry and the raspberry.
2) A prickly shrub or bush.

[Middle English brembel, from Old English bræmbel.]

I knew that berries are prickly from picking berries as a small child.
I thought brambles comes from the prickers as in definition two.
It never occured to me that the origin of the word would go the
other way around - berries to thorns vs thorns to berries.

brambles Lu United Kingdom 12 01-09-2004 10:38 AM
Getting rid of brambles. Zapp Brannigan United Kingdom 21 02-10-2003 02:32 AM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 5 11-09-2003 01:12 PM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 1 09-09-2003 01:12 AM
Killing Brambles Barbara B United Kingdom 9 30-12-2002 01:08 PM