GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Jewel-Toned Beets (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/110308-jewel-toned-beets.html)

aem 04-01-2006 04:04 AM

Jewel-Toned Beets

Here in SoCal we can grow beets pretty much year round. The last time
we got seeds we ran across Renee's Garden "Jewel-Toned Beets," which
are a mixture of red, gold and candystripe. Renee Shepherd, I believe,
is the
founder of Shepherd's nursery and seeds, who has now come back in a
limited way after having sold that business. At any rate, having just
eaten some more of them, I just want to mention that both the beetroots
and the greens of these "jewel-toned" varieties are really good. The
gold and
the candystripe are a little bit mellower than the red. Plants are
very vigorous. And it's kind of fun not knowing exactly what you're
going to get when you sow them. -aem