GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seed variety recommendations (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/110511-seed-variety-recommendations.html)

Kathy 11-01-2006 08:47 PM

Seed variety recommendations

Do you have a favorite variety of seed for any vegetable? What do you
like and why and what climate do you grow it in?

From a garden in southern Idaho (last frost May 26, first frost Sept

22) I can recommend:

"Bright Lights" chard - cheery colorful stuff that provides well from
June to October. Even though it's just leaves, this one of my garden's
biggest producers in terms of pounds per row-foot. Freezes nicely. Good
lightly simmered and seasoned with salt and sesame oil. We never liked
greens so much until we started growing it.

"Cream of the Crop" acorn squash - I needed a really short-season
squash because I plant after squash borers have gone through.
They'll kill a plant so fast I don't see them until it's all over, and
I don't use poisons. Cream of the Crop produced remarkably and tastes
great.

"Green Arrow" peas. What a lot of tasty peas! They grow neatly on
tomato cages and are finished just when the tomatoes want their cages
back.

I'm still looking for a favorite bush bean. Roma II is too furry and
tastes overcooked before it's cooked, though they're quite prolific.
Tendergreen seemed anything but tender. Any suggestions?

Kathy

[email protected] 13-01-2006 09:08 PM

Seed variety recommendations

Of the bush types, Contender, Bountiful and Purple Queen are my
favorites. A little more work, but even tastier is Mountain Halfrunner.

Wild Bill 14-01-2006 02:22 AM

Seed variety recommendations

wrote in message
oups.com...
Of the bush types, Contender, Bountiful and Purple Queen are my
favorites. A little more work, but even tastier is Mountain Halfrunner.

My two favorite bush beans are Top Crop and Straight n' Narrow. Both are
prolific and taste wonderful!

Regards,
Bill

Farmer Joe 17-01-2006 10:45 PM

Seed variety recommendations

Hi from Madison, IL...St Louis Area. Last year I planted some Martha
Stewart Squash seeds from K Mart. They are yellow straightneck
Butternuts. AWESOME!!!! They grew fast and produced at least 15-20
fruit each. They will get as big as an Alley Oop club but are most
tasty about the size of a beer bottle. Give these bad boys plenty of
room though...at least 3 feet in all directions. Good luck....Farmer
Joe