GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing herbs indoors (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/110574-growing-herbs-indoors.html)

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com 14-01-2006 07:06 PM

Growing herbs indoors

We have a south-facing four-seasons room with full windows on 3 sides.
I thought I'd give herbs a shot. We grow herbs outdoors all summer in
pots, and it kills me to pay $3 for a sprig of rosemary at the
supermarket.

I just got my seeds, and have some questions.

Should I grow each herb in its own pot, or can I put them all in a
flat?

How many of each seed should I plant?

Do I cover the seeds with soil, or just sprinkle them on top?

Should I cover the flat/pot with Saran Wrap or anything like that
until they germinate?

Penelope Periwinkle 15-01-2006 04:26 AM

Growing herbs indoors

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:06:42 GMT,
" wrote:

We have a south-facing four-seasons room with full windows on 3 sides.
I thought I'd give herbs a shot. We grow herbs outdoors all summer in
pots, and it kills me to pay $3 for a sprig of rosemary at the
supermarket.

I just got my seeds, and have some questions.

First, what seeds?

It's a whole lot easier to buy a rosemary plant than to grown one from
seed. Basil, on the other hand, is easily and quickly grown from seed,
but does better with plenty of heat.

So, if we know which herbs you have seeds for we can better answer
your questions.

Penelope

freemont 15-01-2006 06:15 AM

Growing herbs indoors

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 04:26:30 +0000, Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:06:42 GMT,
" wrote:

We have a south-facing four-seasons room with full windows on 3 sides. I
thought I'd give herbs a shot. We grow herbs outdoors all summer in
pots, and it kills me to pay $3 for a sprig of rosemary at the
supermarket.

I just got my seeds, and have some questions.

First, what seeds?

It's a whole lot easier to buy a rosemary plant than to grown one from
seed. Basil, on the other hand, is easily and quickly grown from seed, but
does better with plenty of heat.

So, if we know which herbs you have seeds for we can better answer your
questions.

Penelope

I second that. Forget about growing rosemary from seeds. Tarragon too- you
can order tarragon bareroots that are stupidly easy to grow. Thyme is also
easier to buy than to start from seed, in my experience. Annuals like
basil or dill are a piece of cake to start from seed.

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`ˇ.¸¸.ˇ´¯`ˇ- freemontŠ -ˇ´¯`ˇ.¸¸.ˇ´¯

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com 16-01-2006 04:21 PM

Growing herbs indoors

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 04:26:30 GMT, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

So, if we know which herbs you have seeds for we can better answer
your questions.

The seeds I bought are basil, thyme, coriander, and rosemary
(primed?).