GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Kaki/persimmon tree - growing in the British Isles? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/110628-kaki-persimmon-tree-growing-british-isles.html)

Catherinel 16-01-2006 04:26 PM

Kaki/persimmon tree - growing in the British Isles?

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and being in a bit of a rush, I haven't had time to read up on the group's etiquette. I hope I am not committing any hanging offense by posting this query here ;-)
I am wondering if anyone here has any direct experience of growing kaki trees/persimmon/diospyros kaki trees in the British Isles?
I am anxious to give it a try in the East Midlands of Ireland. Can anyone tell me about their experiences?
TIA!

Catherinel

Dwayne 17-01-2006 01:43 AM

Kaki/persimmon tree - growing in the British Isles?

I used to live in Arkansas and persimmons grew all over the place. It very
seldom got below +20 degrees F/-7 degrees C. I don't know anything about
the others.

Dwayne

--
Catherinel

simy1 17-01-2006 04:50 PM

Kaki/persimmon tree - growing in the British Isles?

My guess is it won't work. The japanese (kaki) persimmon likes hot
weather in the summer. There are many other no-spray fruits that will
grow around there.